Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been debating the gas vs diesel truck for a bit. This is regarding used truck market only.

V8 Gas vs V8 Diesel
V6 Gas vs V8 Diesel

Not sure which way to go now. As far as fuel prices are concerned,

V8 Gas vs V8 Diesel - About equal I think in terms of fuel concerns, could be wrong though.
V6 Gas vs V8 Diesel - Slightly better gas mileage with the V6, but not as much towing capacity.

I'm looking at keeping any truck that I get for a while. I know maintenance might be easier with a gasser. Although I don't have a problem working on my own vehicles, but that's been mainly gas engines.

Right now I'm still not sure what to expect.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
ok i can answer this easily for you. it took me a while to do all the calculations... us military combat arms guys aint the brightest. so if yous can understand what me write.. it is pretty simples.

around my home diesel is approximately 30 cents more then regular gasoline. so in my case 30 cents a gallon in a 29 gallon tank is $8.70 more then gasoline filling the same tank. now you equate the fuel mileage. my 7.3 powerstroke truck averages 18mpg highway. same truck in say the 5.4 gasoline flavor gets 13 mpg (being generous here). thats an average of 5 mpg difference. or a total distance of 522 for my diesel on the highway, and 377 miles on the highway for the 5.4. I get an extra 145 miles out of my tank for $8.70. to get that out of the gasoline i would have to put an additional 11 gallons of gas in the tank for an additional amount of $37.40 so i go further for less money spent overall, and less fillups.

then look historically at resale values of vehicles with diesels, they generally are worth A LOT MORE then their gasoline siblings. for example take my 1999 F250 with a powerstroke. its worth $10,900 blue book. take same vehicle but with the 5.4 v8 or the v10 and its only worth $6500 with the same mileage. Part of this is the average Diesel will outlive 99.99% of all gasoline engines. very few gasoline engines are built to last more then 200,000 miles. diesels for example the 5.9 cummins in the ram or the 7.3 Powerstroke in the superduty fords regularly go 500,000 miles plus.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I understand your reservations regarding stepping away from the familiar gasser trucks and moving over to the diesels.
I'm not say you should or you shouldn't.
All I can say I'm glad I did.
Every time I see your threads, it makes me smile. I was in your shoes about two years ago.
I was all over the diesel forums, reading and asking the questions I just couldn't seem to find the answers to.

After a little over a year of researching my big investment. well you can see what I decided on.
I can confidently tell you I don't have one ounce of regret.
I've owned a lot of gasser trucks. And many times while I was working the truck, I often wished this truck had the pulling power of a diesel.

Granted YES it can eat up the fuel if I'm out playing with the HP and torque or working it had. But on the other hand, if I behave and drive it conservatively my truck can be reasonably economical.

Like I said, it was an unfamiliar purchase but I don't regret it at all.

BTW diesel here is $0.15 cheaper then gas per Liter

·
Registered
935 Posts
My last truck was a ford with a 460 gasser with two fuel tanks. And when it came to fuel milage,i was averageing around 4/8 mpg.The truck would tow just about anything i hooked to it.But i couldn't pass a gas station with it.On one trip back to washington state from california with an overhead loaded on it i had to fill both tanks 4 times.I was spending more money on fuel than anything else. Then i upraded to another truck,this one was newer but had a diesel in it. and i was getting much better fuel milage with this truck.I am really happy i went with a diesel.I may pay a little more in fuel because it's a diesel,but thats nothing compared to getting a gasser again and fueling up both tanks every week, or fueling up one tank every two weeks.i will never go back to a gasser again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts