Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new to the site and i was wondering if i can get some opinions on which truck to buy?

Heres the deal,im thinking about becoming a owner operator and hauling new campers.i have always been a chevy guy but i have always liked cummins also. So thats it ! I think for the money i cant beat the dodge,plus i can get a family members discount so i leaning that way but any imput would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Welcome to diesel forums
As for diesels,cummins motors are great,I've got an older 5.9 12 valve and i really like it.Plenty of power for what i need it to do.And good fuel economy to.
As for the duramax, they are real good motors to. When they first came out they had so many issues with them. But i believe that chevy learned from the problems and they improved the motor to where it is today.In my opinion the hp war today is between the duramax and cummins motors. I think what ever you choose you will like.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Hey guys im new to the site and i was wondering if i can get some opinions on which truck to buy?

Heres the deal,im thinking about becoming a owner operator and hauling new campers.i have always been a chevy guy but i have always liked cummins also. So thats it ! I think for the money i cant beat the dodge,plus i can get a family members discount so i leaning that way but any imput would greatly be appreciated.
How did you get into this business? I need something like this. I have a truck sitting around doing nothing?

I cant beat the dodge
With that quote and the family discount, I think you have made your decision. I will say this if your driving through mountains The Cummins should have a true valve break system soon, and they will be the only manufacturer left to have a manuel transmission option. So thats my two cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also new to this site, i would like to start that kind of a business/job too. but i buy Fords however i see a lot bad talk about the power stroke diesel. can any buddy reinsure me if i go Ford it will not live up to the name F.O.side.Rd?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Also new to this site, i would like to start that kind of a business/job too. but i buy Fords however i see a lot bad talk about the power stroke diesel. can any buddy reinsure me if i go Ford it will not live up to the name F.O.side.Rd?
First off,welcome to diesel forums.
As for fords, i don't know to much about the newer fords. But if you are wanting a Ford, I'd go with the 7.3L. This motor has provin itself to be very reliable. Just like the cummins motor.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Sounds like your in a pickle... Loyal Chevy guy, and a Dodge discount available.

I'm still a Chevy guy all the way, but it would depend... How much of a discount would it be?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks,
i'll look at the 7.3 I have a 98 f-150 but i need to pull 10k or more now so it's time to move on. but I just started looking at the Ram i think that may be the way to go to bad FORD i loved you!
Thanks
jhite

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
stinky4skin? You still haven't told us how you got into this business? I want in! I don't want to take business from you, I just want to drive?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I don't think it's that hard... Get yourself some towing insurance, then go to your local businesses that would possibly need a tow vehicle. ie: Camper sale, tailer manufactures, or get a 3 car hauler and talk to auto sales. get busy :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a in at Rick's RV in IL. but he told me it don't pay that much. i know i would need 60+ a year or more. got to keep the truck on the road to pay for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to this site as well and I have the same question. I want to buy a Diesel in the near future and Im not sure on what to get. It is kinda sucks to just pick one because. They all seem great. Im mainly wanting one for longevity, and I do not want to own more than one truck in my life. I just want a strong reliable truck to last on years on end.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
You have to figure your needs and budget. Age and milage has to be scrutinized. If the truck is 10 years old with less then 70,000 miles be very picky on how it was cared for. if it's 10 years with over 100,000, Be picky on it's quality of preventive maintenance. Then you have to ask questions like has it ever run bio diesel? If so was it commercial or home brewed? If home brewed fuel? Walk away! Best bang for the buck are older and reliable Ford 7.3l and Rams or Dodge Rams. Most Cummins based Rams are fairly reliable. Your 6.0l fords need to be scrutinized for EGR, and head studs done by the manufacturer. The GMs Are nice but some can be sensitive to changes (fuel, oil, and filters) Make sure your meticulous in your PMCS, as with all diesels. Google and Bing is your friend and if you have any questions do post them on our forum. Good research will yield you with what you desire.

Welcome to the forum!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts