Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks shortly I will be in the market to purchase another truck I am looking to buy a dodge pre def for a 4th gen !!In saying this which would be a better buy a late 3rd gen or an early 4th gen ??? looking for pros and cons thanks in advance !! P.S I was told that if I was to buy a 3rd gen to get the 2007 for the 5.9 before it went to the 6.7 !!! looking for pointers !!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
With all things being equal, such as vehicle condition and miles on the clock I will say it depends. I will say up front the 6.7L 4th gens run stronger and pull better than the previous models. If you are wanting to leave the 4th gen emissions in place or you have to pass emissions testing I would advise you to either look for a later 5.9L or look into a 2014 or newer DEF truck. If you don't mind finding a deleted 2011 or 2012, or doing deletes on one there is nothing wrong with one of these. I know some guys and gals have a stock one of these years and don't have emissions equipment problems but they are pulling hard with their trucks and don't hardly drive the empty, such as using it for a commuter vehicle. I personally own and drive a 2011 2500HD that has been deleted and tuned since it had less than 3,000 miles on it. I really like my truck even though I have had to spend some money on it recently, such as a new ECM, FCA (fuel control actuator, and a Fleece Cheetah turbo. If I ever have to have emissions testing performed on it I will take it somewhere that doesn't require emissions testing and sell it or return it to stock and sell it, as I still have the emissions equipment laying around my shop. There is a lot to consider about these trucks with the Cummins, and a guy understands a whole lot more once you own one for a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Thanks for your input !! I live in Northern California so playing the deleted game is a little risky , I have a first gen but it runs like a tank !! So looking to upgrade so the wify quits bitching about the rough ride lol lol I have a 21 foot 5th wheel and live not far from the mountains so when we go camping in the summer I want to have the power to climb the hills up to 5000 feet... this will also be my daily driver. Another question I have is can I run a tuner with all the emissions in place to get the best power and fuel economy ???

·
Registered
62 Posts
There are some companies writing tunes for the Rams with emission equipment in place, but I don't know anything about their stuff. Calibrated Power is one and I think Bully Dog has one or maybe more, and not sure be I think Banks Engineering also is into them. I would trust Banks to have it right, whatever the project.

On another note, if you opt for a 6.7L with the VGT turbo, be sure to run with the Exhaust brake turned on as it helps keep the shutters from getting stuck with soot.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Sierra SLE Duramax
7 Posts
There are some companies writing tunes for the Rams with emission equipment in place, but I don't know anything about their stuff. Calibrated Power is one and I think Bully Dog has one or maybe more, and not sure be I think Banks Engineering also is into them. I would trust Banks to have it right, whatever the project.

On another note, if you opt for a 6.7L with the VGT turbo, be sure to run with the Exhaust brake turned on as it helps keep the shutters from getting stuck with soot.
What did you end up getting?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts