Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

What Oil to use?

7K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  mwacosta 
#1 ·
What Oil should I be using in the 2008 6.7? I have seen like 3 differnt listings. Im in the Northeast and I run synthetic. Suggestions on brand? Filter?

#2 ·
i would def run ams oil synthetic i love it with a Bosch filter i have a 2012 on it and a 2004 5.9 and the 5.9 is laying down 1096 hp and that oil is amazing if i wanted to i could go 15,000 miles and the oil still has cushion and is could whatever you do dont go cheap and go with rotella good way to loose a engine or truck

#4 ·
I have used rotella non synthetic 15/40 in both of my cummins with no issues 3000 mile change intervals, And have used fram filters all this time again no issues. Use what you like i'm happy with what i use and it's affordable for me, my current truck does not do any towing as of yet, just a driver.

#5 ·
I use 100% synthetic Rotella oil and the GM OEM filter. I use the GM oil filter cause it has the anti flow back check valve in it. It helps to achieve instant oil pressure at cold starts.

#8 ·
Nikon makes filters for diesels?

#9 ·
Oils to us is like lipstick to girls!!!

Mobil CJ4 for the dpf/egr engines,in the 0-40 grade,good all year long as no need to bounce around from 15/40 summer and lighter grade for the winter use.Temps. as low as -40 celcius plus wind chills.Also Fleetgaurds for oil filter.Just my choice as they are available in the area.When I crank her up(unplugged block heater) oil pressure right now even at minus 30.!:smileup:

#11 ·
I am a new dodge owner. The manual indicates that you only need to change the oil no later than 15K miles? The manual also recommends using synthetic 15/40. I have had two power strokes and I typically used Rotella and changed oil about every 5K miles. The 15K surprises me. The onboard computer will tell you when to change oil also, but this is just a time/mile function and has no bearing on your use.

Would like to hear how often you change your oil for your cummins engine.

Thanks,

mwacosta
2013 3500 crew cab 6.7 Cummins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.