Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting with a 2004 Cummins Ram 2500 HO. I bought a 2WD because I got a screaming deal on it. It's as stock and vanilla as it can get except for 2 things, an automatic transmission and a cd player.

I'm new to this type of work but I have always wanted to build something like this and figure I have to start somewhere.

Obviously, problem #1 for the end goal is a 2wd. I've read where people have bought junkyard parts and done the conversion themselves on the cheap. The thing is, being kind of new to this I don't really know where to start. I'm assuming I am going to need a transfer case, new front axle, differentials, etc. But I don't know what else.

I also know that, in general, people respond to posts like this with "forget about it, sell what you've got and go buy a 4x4". But unless this work costs more than $10k to do, this is cheaper.

So, lets just put that aside and, for you fellas who do a lot of custom work, how would you go about converting a 2wd to 4wd?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
That is going to be QUITE the endeavor. I can see your point in the dollar practicality.
But once you've bought all new front suspension, front axle, a tranni with short tail stub for the 4x4, a transfer case and all associated cross-members. You now ready to do the electrical. Everything from the 4X4 indicator light on your cluster to the 4x4 switch on the dash to engage the electronic actuator on the T case and axle.

Just a thought..... why not fix-up this 2wd and sell it for a good profit and do as you said in you opening post. Buy a stock 4x4 for a steal then you can modify a true 4x4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the ideas. The problem is that even if I got 2-3K more out of it than I bought it for almost 2 years ago I'd looking at another 10-15k, depending on how much I can get for mine, to get another one of comparable miles and clean body. Any diesel with a crew cab and less than 150k miles in my area is $24-28k. I just don't have the cash to drop on that all at once. Maybe my choices are limited to one, make due with the 2wd.

What if I could find a non-functional vehicle of the same model? I assume the frame is different between the crew cab and regular cab, so I think I would need to buy almost the exact same truck in order for it to work. But if I could magically find such a thing, it seems at that point all I need to do is lift the body off my current truck and put it on the frame of the other one... right? I'm assuming I would have to buy a few conversion parts if the "parts" truck had a Hemi instead of a Cummins. Other than that, I assume it should mostly work.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
What if I could find a non-functional vehicle of the same model? I assume the frame is different between the crew cab and regular cab, so I think I would need to buy almost the exact same truck in order for it to work. But if I could magically find such a thing, it seems at that point all I need to do is lift the body off my current truck and put it on the frame of the other one... right? I'm assuming I would have to buy a few conversion parts if the "parts" truck had a Hemi instead of a Cummins. Other than that, I assume it should mostly work.

I would say you would be further ahead, that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts