Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive got a 2001 2500 5.9L cummins 6spd high output. Im expierencing overvoltage problems. When im driving the voltage gage spikes 18 volts for a couple minutes then it returns to 14 where it should be. So i replaced the alternator thinking it was the voltage regulator well that fixed it for about two weeks. It started doing it again so i bought a brand new alternator not a reman. one and two days later it still does it. I pulled the codes with my smarty and it said charging system too high and DTC in companion with JTEC module, What does that mean? So i cleared the codes! Anyway does anyone have any clue to what is causing this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry...dont know what is causing it. On my truck i will start it in the morning and my voltage will drop for a minute or two to like 6-8volts all the lights go dimm then it will shoot back up to 14-15. It will do this 4-5 times first thing ...still havent firgured it out and the dealer has been absolutley useless....they just want to keep changing parts in hope that they figure something out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this problem too. I was talking to another Cummins Mechanic the other day he says, yep its a dodge/ram thing. Some guys last year posted alot on this issue, it is very common. No one could state why!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts