Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

Very confused newbie

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  In2Trux 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I am not only new to this forum, but to diesels in general. I have read a bunch, but have never owned one. I am buying a small 5th wheel RV and will need a truck to pull it. The 5er dry weight is 6910 lbs and it will probably stay under 9000 lbs. in use. I have concluded that what I need is a 3/4 ton diesel. Beyond that, I'm lost.

I am 70 years old. My current car is a 5 speed, but my wife wants auto, so auto it will be. We do a lot of mountain driving. I'm sure that any of them will get me up, but I am concerned about the down grades. I don't hot rod, so I won't need to chip it or delete it.

I am looking for a used diesel truck with reasonable reliability and the ability to slow me on steep grades without destroying my brakes. Decent fuel economy would be a bonus.

Talking to the RV guys, I get loads of conflicting information, so I thought I'd try here. I've heard all the horror stories. "Ford 6.x engines don't hold up." "Dodge transmissions fall apart." "Chevys have injector problems and overheat when towing." "Don't get anything with more than 100,000 miles." "300,000 miles is OK.""Don't dare drive down the mountain without an exhaust brake." "Tow/haul mode works just fine on steep grades.":3-smash:

If I believe everybody, I should probably buy a Ford, a Dodge, and a Chevy. I should strip the engine and tranny out of the Ford and throw them away. Then I should replace them with the Cummins engine and Allison transmission. Finally, I should add an exhaust brake. In the real world, I need to make a decision, but I feel like I'm working blind.:kap:

I'm leaning toward looking for a Chevy/GMC in the '06 or '07 range with around 150,000 miles. I just wish that I had some information that I could rely on.

I know this was a little long winded. Thanks for your patience.

Joel

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Joel
I can't speak for the Dodge Cummins or the Ford binders :)
06 07 Duramax LB7 engine is a good choice too. pushed by the 6spd Allison will get you up and down those big long hills just fine. The Allison 1000 6spd automatic in trailer mode pulls like a dream. And going down hill, it gears down for you to slows you on the descends
Welcome to diesel forums from a bias Chevy guy

#3 ·
If your into a manual transmission. The New 6.7l Cummins Ram is the only manufacturer left to offer one. The new Cummins Ram is also offering a Pac-car Exhaust break. It will be a true exhaust valve Engine break system, that is rated at over 400 break horse power.
So hills will never be an issue for that rig. Their transmissions are holding up fine, if you want an older Dodge 2003 to 2010 should suffice. The new Fords Not much to say about them, they are doing well. Older Fords? Any 7.3l will be reliable their just gutless going up hills while towing. 6.0l are a step up in uphill towing you just have to make sure they have been bulletproofed. 6.4l Hard to say, I'm not a fan of that power-plant and I can't really tell you why. They seem to be holding up so far.

Duramaxes! 2001 to 2006 used are good trucks. However; if the truck has been modified for performance? Be prepared to check the ATF in it and make sure it has not lost any clutch material. The Allisons have been know to get hurt by their own software. even in normal mountain high way driving. If it's over 240,000 miles be prepared to upgrade or replace the Allison. That seems to be their tired point. Now to GM's new trucks! I have nothing bad to say about them. from 2009 to present those trucks will drive the hills well!

#5 · (Edited)
. Now to GM's new trucks! I have nothing bad to say about them. from 2009 to present those trucks will drive the hills well!
I'm curious, :thk: What changed in the 4th generation LMM 07.5 to 2010
Mine is a 2007.5 and I'm wondering what you know that I missed about the differences of the 2009 and up, to my 2007.5

Like 97 Cummins said Joel is looking for an automatic so his wife can drive it too.
Ford has an available exhaust brake too. Not sure of the manufactures name at the moment

#7 ·
I thought I stated that the new Ford 6.7l are to new for me to give out any decent information on.

I'm curious, :thk: What changed in the 4th generation LMM 07.5 to 2010
Mine is a 2007.5 and I'm wondering what you know that I missed about the differences of the 2009 and up, to my 2007.5
:wow:

I only said that because those trucks are the first generation of emissions trucks and they get horrible fuel economy, and the DPF have been causing issues in some (not all) Duramax trucks. and by the time they are used you have no clue what has been done to them by the owners once they have expired their warrantee. They are really not bad trucks. It just the simple fact, they are the trucks they had to work the emissions kinks out.:str:

Like 97 Cummins said Joel is looking for an automatic so his wife can drive it too.
Ford has an available exhaust brake too. Not sure of the manufactures name at the moment
Whoops! I knew he said he liked the manual and maybe I should have wrote it different, because I was just stating a fact about Dodge. I did post up about the Rams Automatics (or did I)?

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cummins
Welcome to diesel forums
What do you think about the ford 6.7 powerstrokes rustin?And he's lookin for an auto tranny.

I thought I stated that the new Ford 6.7l are to new for me to give out any decent information on.

you said the 6.4 was to new for you to give advice on,not the 6.7 ford.

#11 ·
Quote:you said the 6.4 was to new for you to give advice on,not the 6.7 ford.
:i_redface: :eek:wned:
OH? :doh: Well! Those are both still to new for me to make any solid amount of info on.

#10 ·
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

#13 ·
I have come to realize. That I haven't been firing on all cylinders lately.

#15 ·
An oil change fixes everything. And not the kind in the garage :hah:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.