Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and to diesel trucking. We bought our truck a few weeks ago to pull a fifth wheel trailer. I have become interested in the whole idea of tuning, mostly for improved fuel economy but also for better towing performance. If all these "chips" and tuners are so great why don't the manufacturers use them or offer them as options. I'm sure this topic has come up before but I haven't found it.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
For tuning I'd go straight for EfiLive. The guys at DuramaxTuner.com are some of the best tuners out there. Call up Nick and he can build tunes anyway you want.

I know a few dealerships that you can buy performance parts when buy a truck. But they shorten your warranty.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
welcome to the forum. manufacturers tend to tune the trucks very conservatively for longetivity reasons as well as keep a few tricks up there sleeves when one of the other manufacturers claim they have a few more hp and torque then them, such as ford and chevy right now

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
EFILive would be my choice too. But if your just looking for a little more punch while your towing and a bit more MPG. You can keep it under $1000 and p/u one of the plug and play ones Bully Dog or Superchip and Banks.
As ZombieSoldier says they are conservative tunes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
EFILive would be my choice too. But if your just looking for a little more punch while your towing and a bit more MPG. You can keep it under $1000 and p/u one of the plug and play ones Bully Dog or Superchip and Banks.
As ZombieSoldier says they are conservative tunes.
I would recommend PPE as a plug and play, superchips is way behind the times, Banks is overpriced/under powered, and bullydog is working on getting new tunes, but PPE still rains supreme in Duramax tuning for plug and play

If you want a cheap and easy to use programmer i would say the Diablosport Predator, its under $400 and has reasonably good tunes:smileup:

·
Registered
543 Posts
EFILive.

It's like an SCT for the powerstokes. Custom tunes are the only away to go in my personal opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts