Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,
I just inherited a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins 24 valve Turbo Diesel engine. The engine has not been started in 3 years. Beyond an oil change and fresh fuel, what precautions should I take before trying to start the engine? Anyone know where I can find info on this?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Hand Crank over the power-plant make sure it turns! Check and/or replace batteries. Check fuel! Change all fluids, including coolant. Look at your break pads. It might be overkill, but I am like that with a used vehicle. I am sure somebody has more Ideas.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Check the intake rat nests or anything else that could cause damage.
Steve? Do you still sell Dodge service manuals for his vintage? How many books do you think it would be? @dodgeramfan, it would be a good Idea to have these if you really want to take good care of that truck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Change fuel filter you'll have to remove the injectors to hand crank the engine put in new o rings when reinstalling,while they are out i would put some marvel mistery oil in the cylenders let it soak in for a day or so change the belt and hoses,thermastate ect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All,
thanks for all the advice. I did as suggested,
1)Drained the fuel and filled the tank with fresh deisel
2)New Fuel Filter and Air filter
3)Changed the oil and installed new fuel filter
4)Installed New Batteries
5) disconnected the power to the injector pump so it wouldn't start and then cranked it over a few seconds at a time till oil pressure came up.
6) reconnected the power to the injector pump and VIOLA if fired right off.

No smoke, no bad noises, no problems. That Cummins Turbo Deisel is purring like a kitten. Thanks for all the advice. It worked out great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts