Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the installation of my Air Horns.
I removed the rad support plastic header then removed the grill to access the location where the horns will mount.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As soon as I finish the plumbing and electrical I'll get a video so we can hear it :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had some in my 2001 Dodge, those things are friggin loud. Unfortunately, the solenoid activated by the horn signal gave out and I had to take them out. Haven't found a replacement yet, not that I've been looking real hard. Maybe when I get my new truck, I'll look into putting them back in. Those look real sharp, too bad you have to hide them behind the grill.

Mike

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having problems keeping the compressor going.
I'm powering it off of relay panel under my dash.
This panel has a bunch of relays on it and a bunch of available spots. So I tapped into one that was switched by the ignition. After a few cycles, I lost power at that spot. So I moved the wire to the next available spot.
After a few cycles from the compressor, I lost power there too.

My son suspects those are 12VDC data supplies Not meant for power supplies, but they may by good enough for a relay supply.

So back to the drawing board to wire up this compressor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have some extra room, a simple 12vdc Bosch relay is super easy to use and would give you good protection. Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike
Ya, I'm gonna go to the dealership and find out how I can get those circuits back and buy a compatible relay from Parts Dept.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Found out that you have to clean the solenoid out. The plunger had a lot ofbuild up in it, thats why it wasn't working. Now I just need a new truck to put them in.

Mike

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's goood news I'm glad to hear you brought new life to your horn.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Glenn, I am so jealous! I WANT TRAIN HORNS!!!!

Got a vid yet?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No. No progress yet.
I manage to make some time and bought a relay
I hope to get some time for myself to spend some time working on my truck.
I still have to find some true 12vdc ignition power, and not 12vdc data.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
yeah glenn keep me motivated to get mine done when i get back. i have the horns already (grover big rig horns) and all i need to do is get the tank and compressor

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HELP !!! I'm really having a hard time finding a ignition 12 volt power source in my truck.
#40 isn't gonna do it. It's battery. I need ignition.

I've googled a 2008 Silverado wiring diagram of my truck. I'm running into brick walls.
Does anybody know of another source... Owner's manual doesn't give direction on how to ad accessories to the trucks
The owner's manual actually advises against adding accessories because of the data and airbag circuits

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wondering, is it possible to pull power from your trailer plug, like the charging line for the trailer batteries. Sorry to hear its being a problem.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wondering, is it possible to pull power from your trailer plug, like the charging line for the trailer batteries. Sorry to hear its being a problem.
Yeah I guess I could do that too... I could trace it back to the cab where I need it.
That link was some what helpful but the thread was primarily about a 5.3 gasser. The fuse panels and relay block are different from diesels.

I still REALLY appreciate your imput and help. I'm gonna give that trlr harness wire a try

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Turns out the 7 pin trailer harness doesn't have 12vdc ignition power. It does have battery power with the key off. I'll keep looking.
I'm still open to more suggestions

1 - 20 of 22 Posts