Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

Too many problems

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jasonp0 
#1 ·
I have a pest that keeps calling me about a 98 3500 12 valve. He wont bring it in for help, just keeps asking question thats I cant answer without troubleshooting.
His radio, seatbelts, fuel gauge, and mirrors wont work. Im no light vehicle mechanic, but I would like to help the guy with some info.
Myslef, im thinking crash sensor.

#2 · (Edited)
Ask him if he has checked his fuses? If he has.
Ask him if he has scanned his truck? It should bring out all of the problem codes relating to the crash sensor.
Ask him if his interior is dirty? If not, he might want to check the switches and motors for the mirrors. Then check the connection on his radio, They do go bad after 14 years. His seat belts along with the sensor most likely will need to be replaced. but not required. Gauges? Most likely fuses or a serious electrical issue.
And tell him you can't help him on a truck unseen. We don't know if it is all of the above or a combination of a serious can of worms he does not need to mess with.
It could be the crash sensor and or the Airbag causing issues, or something simple (it's always something simple). After 14 years of use there are going to be issues. So guide him through the basics, or tell him that you have priorities and you don't have the time to give him the full attention he needs over the phone.

#3 ·
There is an electrical connector under the driver's seat in a lot of dodges, the power for the radio, and the seatbelts run through that connector. I've heard they are prone to wear/damage and can cause some interesting electrical issues. If you don't have a fuse problem it wouldn't hurt to check out that connector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.