Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's a 2003 2500 5.9 L Cummins, runs (for the most part) like a champ, and has never given me a minute of trouble...except she likes to blow the cap off of the power steering reservoir...you could say she's developing a habit, it has happened twice within a year. There is no warning or precursory event indicators, and often goes undetected until the fluid level gets low and the moaning, groaning, and woeful cries of a faithful friend begin. This most recent "event" also included a freezing up of the brakes, rendering here immobile for a brief period of time; the front brakes were locked up tight, there was no turning of the steering wheel, my trusty steed was down for the count. The opening of the reservoir itself has been deformed in the process, indicating a goodly amount of pressure building before the actual blowing of the cap. Again, I have not heard it physically blow, I have only been witness to the after-effects.

I am getting ready to replace the reservoir in an attempt to correct the problem, although I am unsure that this will solve the malady, only prolong the next blast off. Anyone have any comments, thoughts, suggestions, or humorous anecdotes that might assist me in my search for answers and ultimately correct the problem? I surely would appreciate any insight you may offer as this is a real head-scratcher for me...I miss my truck, please help!!:confused:

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
This is a hydraulic issues. To things should be looked at... ... (Tis is off the cuff) Check valves or pressure relief valves need to be inspected or tested. Usually Power steering pumps have them built internally. Now I don't know about your Ram, B=but my ford uses the Power Steering fluid to boost the breaks. Your breaking system might need to be inspected, you may have a bad caliper or something in the lines causing some issues. Granted I might be way off, so do keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy Rustin, and thank you for your input...most certainly all issues worth checking into and I am sure will be investigated thoroughly.
I have been pouring over my MOPAR service manual, and it says that my engine (but of course) is the only one (of the 3.7L, 4.7L, 5.7L & 5.9L) that does NOT have a power steering pressure switch. It goes on to tell me that the hydraulic pressure is provided by the belt driven power steering pump; theses pumps are "constant flow rate and displacement, vane-type pumps"...what does that mean, exactly, in plain and simple, average, everyday gal on the street speak? I mean what should that information be telling me?
I very much appreciate your efforts in helping me figure this out and I will do my best to keep you updated on my findings and progress. Have an awesome day!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts