Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

Pick one for your retirement travel build rig...

• 7.3 modded PowerStroke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6.0 modded PowerStroke

• 6.7 modded Powerstroke

• 5.9 modded 12v Cummins

• 24v modded Cummins

• Duramax

• Other

• I hate you...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy everyone, new here. I did a search but didn't really find what I was looking for so I'm starting a new thread. If you were building a dream truck one ton dually 4x4 (6x6?) [Insert year, make, model, here] and you were going to load up your family, hook a 5th wheel toy hauler RV to it and head out across America what year/make/model diesel engine would you drop in? Why? Let's say your rig is already built and you have $12-$15k to spend on the engine, tranny and transfer case. What mill brings the wood to the dungarees for you? I'm looking for power, performance, reliability and would like to be able to cruise at 70-80 mph with a load with no worries. Also, maintenance intervals at regular jiffy style lube stations and repairs at reputable diesel shops with worse case scenarios being dealership repairs (for motor not body) is needed. Decent mileage would be welcome but I do understand pulling 20k 80mph tends to drain the tank lol. I've been told by Ford guys to go 7.3 or upgraded 6.0, 6.7 if money isn't a worry. I've been told by Chevy guys to go Duramax. And of course Dodge guys say 12v Cummins. I don't want to hear brand loyalty, I want to hear from diesel guys what diesel they would put their family in and travel America without stressing about it. That's why I am here, to learn sooooo LET's GET READY TO RUUUMBLLLLLLE...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, 2 days ain't so bad... I and most others that I've seen here don't hang out like it's their facebook. I Just check in every whipstitch, and just saw your post. That's a good question, and I'll bet there are some guys just shaking there heads. I'll bet there'll be a lot of different answers, at least in peoples heads...
In my head anyway, I love my Cummins... Present and past. I had a 1998.5 24 valve club cab dually 4x4 with a five speed that I drove all over the US hauling about 16,000 pounds. I did a tuner and exhaust on that one and it was a HOSS!!! Absolutely loved that truck. Now have a 2016 crew cab dually 4x4 with a six speed that I "hated" when I first bought it because it was a gutless wonder... Did a full delete, cold air box, 4" turbo back exhaust and an EZ-Lynk tuner with a +250 horse tune. Had to go with a southbend dual disc clutch and flywheel kit to handle the horsepower, and now I just "go"... Anywhere...
and I absolutely love this truck - - -"AFTER" the Mods. I'm at about $7K into the performance mods, but it's money well spent. It's my daily driver and pulling my 31' toyhauler fully loaded I don't even know the trailer is back there. And I mean over hill and dale too. The power is awesome and it'll do whatever I need done. It's extremely reliable. So I'd put that 2 cents in for the Cummins. They've really never done me wrong., and that's over a cumulative 20 years or so, and over half the lower 48. So... There you go, and welcome to the forums

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right of course, I just figured everyone would jump in with their picks and I literally LOL'd at the facebook comment and disturbed the wife's sleep haha. Ok the 24v Cummins, I expected an abundance of 12v Cummins to be honest, not the 24v tho. Now, I know whatever powerplant I choose I'll need to beef up the tranny but I'm wanting an automatic with maybe an exhaust brake setup. Reliability is a must for sure and your firsthand account is very much appreciated. I am going to look into a 24v now because I didn't do that before posting this thread lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts