Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running a part synthetic oil for about three years now. And lately i've been thinking about going to full synthetic.
Question,Do you like the full syn?,what brand do you use?, and whats your oil change interval.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now my oil change intervals are 7500 with the part syn.
Ignore the time displayed when this was posted. It's wrong.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
97, any good synthetic will help out. It just depends on the amount of cost you're willing to invest, and if you have an older vehicle are you willing to over look that a synthetic will expose some sealing problems that the regular oil covered up?

I'm running AMSOIL 10w30 in our Power Stroke (bought from [email protected]). I have seen an increase of ±.5 mpg as long as my foots not into it. My next purchase when Luke @ Diesel Dawgs Performance can carrie it. Is a LifeTime oil filter. My drain intervals is going to be around 9,000 miles depending on my oil sample tests being done through our local cat dealer. The pro: It quiets HEUI injection system. The Con: My truck is an older truck that has never had a synthetic in it, So the initial cost was very great. I had to run a cleaner before putting in the synthetic. The other thing which I will over look for now, is that the truck smokes a bit on start up. After start up no smoke, problems.
AMSOIL
Schafers
Delo synthetic
Royal Purple
Champion synthetics <---New
These will all do well.

I used to be a full delo user, but they are notorious for soot build-up. Even their synthetics are no different, Shell is the same way. If I ever go back to regular I will go back to Mobile It has alway been good, their synthetic is not bad but not quite up to par as AMSOIL and schafers.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My truck is an older dodge,1997.
life time oil filter?
I have noticed since they started using the part syn. oil leaks on the motor showing up.
You said you used a cleaner before you put in the full syn. oil. What do you mean by a cleaner?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
My truck is an older dodge,1997.
life time oil filter?
I have noticed since they started using the part syn. oil leaks on the motor showing up.
You said you used a cleaner before you put in the full syn. oil. What do you mean by a cleaner?
AMSOIL has a solution that you use to clean out any old caked on junk before you start using their oil. I had to by some new but really cheap oil to run for a half hour with the solution so that it was circulated in the oil system. this was to clean out any deposits and soot left behind by the old Oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I havent tried synthetic yet in my truck but a 94 honda i switched to syn started leaking bad at the valve cover , went to high milage regular and it stopped ,

·
Registered
12 Posts
opps forgot one thing , a 2005 chrysler has been running syn since 12,000 miles and hasnt leaked a drop , more important it hasnt seized either , 2.7 are notorious for that

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Can somebody explain to me while an engine running regular oil doesn't leak then starts to leak once it has 100% synthetic oil.
Is it just a coincidence? or did the syn oil cause the leak?
Sorry 97 Cummins I don't mean to high jack.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Can somebody explain to me while an engine running regular oil doesn't leak then starts to leak once it has 100% synthetic oil.
Is it just a coincidence? or did the syn oil cause the leak?
Sorry 97 Cummins I don't mean to high jack.
This only happens with older trucks. The synthetic oil is so slick and has a high viscosity that it can go past worn rings and old o-rings. Thus making the truck blow white smoke on first start up. After the first start up the truck will rarely see any smoke. I'm using the synthetic for Fuel economy reasons, and I'm not worried about a little bit of smoke. I knew I was going to have this issue as soon as I put the AMSOL in. This is a known phenomena. It's not bad for the truck, unless the synthetic exposed a problem that you might not have foreseen with the regular oil. and by that time you will have to overhaul the engine. If you have a new truck or an early model with less then 40,000 miles you should not have this problem, but make sure that putting in a synthetic does not void your warrantee. Not all oil is created equal, and not all synthetics are either. Some pay the big three to make sure that their oil is pushed for use in PMCS. Oh I forgot to mention that my truck is 14 years old and I put the synthetic in at 145,000 miles.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok,thanks rustin. That explains something. I've noticed when i start my truck up in the morning i notice a little white smoke when it's cold,then it goes away. And my truck is 15 years old. And i started useing the part syn. about three years ago. And i have over 245,000 miles on my truck.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree Rustin
White smoke occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include…
  • Faulty or damaged injectors
  • Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).
  • Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)
When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing. Use of an oil flushing concentrate and a decarbonizer may http://www.costeffective.com.au/flushing_oil_concentrate.phphttp://www.costeffective.com.au/ftc_decarboniser.php address these respective problems.
Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame. Unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.
In formation compliments of diesel leaks .com
Try going back to regular oil.. I would bet this will not stop your oil leaks.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree Rustin
White smoke occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include…
  • Faulty or damaged injectors
  • Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).
  • Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)
When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing. Use of an oil flushing concentrate and a decarbonizer may http://www.costeffective.com.au/flushing_oil_concentrate.phphttp://www.costeffective.com.au/ftc_decarboniser.php address these respective problems.
Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame. Unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.
In formation compliments of diesel leaks .com
Try going back to regular oil.. I would bet this will not stop your oil leaks.
Good write up but this is not my case. Another reasons to cause white smoke are Oil in the turbo.

Once again this problem that I'm experiencing is not a problem. I'm already well aware that I have injector problems (i can't afford the $3,000 price tag at this moment). But this is not caused by the Synthetic. I did use an oil flushing concentrate. Excellent find of information there, but if this was the case then why is Chevron pushing it's Delo synthetic on diesels?
Like stated before this is a known phenomena, for older trucks. Thanks for the write up. Good information there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts