Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everybody!

When I start my 2003 F250 Diesel for the first time in the morning, regardless of the temp outside, it starts then dies immediately. I turn the key off then start it again and fires right up no problem and stays running.

Also, if I pump the accelerator quickly the first time I start it, I can get it to stay running.

Any ideas, suggestions or comments?

Thanks for reading.

Ken

·
Registered
543 Posts
Have you checked your FICM voltage?

When is the last time you changed the oil and/or fuel filters?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Long time

I had some med issues and then same for a family member so it has been many thousands of miles and at 150k miles I am not sure I have ever changed the fuel filter. Shame on me - I know but do you think that could do it? I have an appointment for the LOF tomorrow, should I throw in the Fuel filter

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong... But it sounds like a fuel pressure prob.
I was thinking the fuel pump could be failing, but a partly clogged old fuel filter could be contributing. But I think that would be more notable at higher RPMs and higher speeds when your fuel supply is more taxed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will definitely change the fuel filter - on my 99 250 it is right on the top of the engine - same on the 03.

In2Trux - are you saying it would be the pump if I had the probs at higher speeds? I have no issues at all once I turn the key the second time and drive all day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2001 Ford Excursion and it is doing the same thing. I have assummed that it was a fuel starvation. Thinking that the fuel was draining back out of the fuel line because if i run the RPMs up to 1500 on start up it runs rough for about 3 second and then some white smoke and then it runs like a champ. I cant find anyone that has a clue what is wrong. Hoping someone here can provide some insight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem Solved

Hopper - for me it was an oil and filter change. The oil was so thick it took almost an hour to stop dropping from the pan, yes I said dropping and the filter came out of the cylinder in pieces.

The 2 fuel filters were almost black.

I recommend an oil/filter change and see if that works. Mine starts right up now in the morning.

Before talking fuel pump or worse do the above and see what happens.

Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.