Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post in this forum as I am looking to get into a diesel truck. For a bit of a back story, I’ve recently graduated high school back in June of ‘21, and I’ve just hit one month into my first “real job” working in construction. Previously I worked retail/ food jobs all part-time. I currently work 6 10’s so I’m never really out spending my money so I’m able to save a pretty good amount of my weekly checks. I’m looking for advice on what my first diesel should be.I don’t have mommy and daddy’s money, I don’t have the budget of anything over 7k ish. I need something reliable and in my price range. Not looking for y’all to post something you’re selling, just looking for advice as to what I should look for and what should be realistic for my price range. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not really sure what you'll be able to get into for that price range. A Ford with the 7.3 is a safe bet because those engines were practically bulletproof, but that engine ended in 2003.5 so its going to be a really old truck. I have a buddy that swears by 12V Cummins, he has 3 of them, but again they are in the 90's upto i think 2000. The chevy's I don't have a whole bunch of knowledge with. I do know the Duramax/Allison combo has always been talked about as one of the best and more reliable. I'd start looking at Ebay or KBB and see whats available for your price range. It's going to have some serious mileage on it. One engine I would look out for is the Ford Powerstroke 6.4L, it is a VERY finicky engine, it was not the best build, even if you were total anal with cleaning and maintenance, some still failed. I do hate speaking ill of it because I love Fords and even own a 6.4, I've just been lucky enough not to have had any problems in 200,000 miles.

Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts