Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for my first diesel and need some help. I know that I want a used 2500 or 250 probably from 2003-2009. Right now I am leaning towards a cummins but don't have my mind set on anything.

I have basically no knowledge of diesel trucks and need to be schooled on things to look out for when buying used. What are big no's when buying used?

From what I have read I need to test drive what I am looking at and if it feels right it is probably right. Is this a good philosophy?

Thanks for any advice you can give me

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
OK the first big No in buying a used diesel truck is... there is no "A" in the spelling of diesel LOL
Just kidding Jon. :)
I try and decide on a truck and a budget for that truck. If your interested in a rig and the 2009 You can expect to spend close to or more then $30,000

Reactions: GT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha damn no wonder I am so lost... my mistake not sure how I didn't catch that.

I have set 30k as my max but would prefer to stick around the 25k mark. I do know I want a mega cab or the equivalent with a short bed.

Since I am leaning toward the cummins are there things specific to look out with them? I know that the earlier models have problems with cracking on the dash (don't believe its and issue with the years I'm looking at and not a huge deal but I do have OCD and that just won't work for me.)

My brother has a rig and told me that if I go with a cummins I should look at the 5.9 instead of the 6.7. Not sure why probably because he has the 5.9 and wants the bigger 6.7 lol. Any particular reason why to go with a 5.9 over the 6.7?

·
Registered
935 Posts
There are more mods for the 5.9 than the 6.7.
If you look, you can find a mega cab with a 5.9L.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I will for sure look up that site and see how the results end up should be interesting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting results... Really didn't expect the Ram to win after reading all the results. I also didn't expect the chevy to perform that bad. If the Ford would have preformed that well with a quad cab I would have to choose It as the winner. I was impressed with it but I just hate trucks that have 2 doors just my personal preference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A couple of Thoughts

I went out looking for a diesel in early in 2010. The EPA had just upgradded their polution control requirements on diesel engines. The Cummins engine is the only one made before 2010 that did not have to be modified or upgraded to meet the new requirements. Ford had trouble with their newly retooled engine, and GM didn't even put one out until June. As a result I got the Ram 2500 and am really happy with it. I am pulling a 36 ft 5th wheel RV that weighs out at right at 14K when loaded. It pulls like a dream and has plenty of power, even in the mountains. .....Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would find a 2005 or 2006 Cummins 6spd 4x4.
OK ,I'm in the same boat as Jon. I'm looking for my first diesel and I am wondering about the differences between the auto and manuals. I too am up in the air about chey vs dodge vs ford. I'm not really a ford guy. Iwould think after all these years the auto would have been thru enough modifications and alterations that it would stand up behind a diesel. any thoughts on the matter would help me out ,:4-dontknow: IVAN

1 - 11 of 11 Posts