Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a rig and from what I can tell to this point I can get more truck for the buck with the PSD than the Dmax. I am a little concerned about getting the 6.0 and then having any of the issues I have read about so far(Very little, thats why Im here) cost me big down the road.

So,,

1. Is there a year to stay away from?
  2. Is the 7.3 a better choice ('03)?
  3. Should a guy go ahead and address issues right off the bat?
  4. What are the major issues that I should be aware of?
I really like the Dmax for design and creature comforts but with what I would spend on one I could get a Stroke and a fifth wheel.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have yet to delete my egr oil cooler and I still have not done my head studs I have an '03 6.0 tuned and an exhaust and am not having any problem yet. I do not think you have to address the problems right away but it is always good to keep them in the back of your mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was kinda wondering about this myself. Not to jack the thread, but I just bought an 06 F350 with the 6.0 2 days ago. From what I've read they fixed the problems in 05 so after that your good. But I honestly don't know. I only plan on doing a straight pipe and small programmer on mine. But I don't want to run into the problems that I have been reading about.

·
Registered
543 Posts
As stated above, the 6.0s can be a hit or miss. I feel very fortunate that I got a good one. I haven't had to deal with any of "the big" problems yet. (knock on wood) I have an 04 with almost 117,000 miles on it. I have dealt with an EGR valve issue, but fixed that and my custom tunes turns it off now anyways, and FICM (fuel injection control module) that went bad. Both things were things that I was able to repair myself, as just about everything on our rigs, and saved A LOT of money doing so. I put my truck USE! I pull heavy loads with it at work, wheel with it in the mountains, and drag race it. I love it!

As far as fixing the problem right away.... Up to you. If you have the money and want the instant piece of mind, then go for. I would suggest using stuff from Bullet Proof Diesel. The have pretty much addressed all the major issues with the 6.0, ie... EGR cooler, oil cooler, and are developing a new FICM as well.

What years are better than others.... That can be debated all day long. 03s came with the round EGR cooler that is said to be better and more reliable than the square type. The 03 came with a 10 vane turbo and the 04-07 came with a 12 vane turbo, the only difference is the whistle that the 10 vanes put out, pretty cool in my opinion. Later year trucks had different strategies that were supposed to make for better cold starts and other engine parameters. I do not know the details on all of them. I do know that the 04 strategies have been said to have some of the best as for as power, performance, and throttle response. That is one reason that I will not get my truck re-flashed.

Make sure you do regular maintenance with all the right stuff. Oil type can be debated, just make sure it's good stuff. Make sure to use Ford gold coolant, not the green stuff that 7.3s can use, or do a complete coolant flush and switch to and ELC coolant.

Hope my words help in some small way. I am by no means an expert on these truck, but have learned quite a bit in the several years that I have owned mine. Plus, when you hang around a bunch of Power Stroke addicts, like John (Rogue-Texan) and I do, you tend learn a thing or two pretty qucik.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts