Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 02 RAM 2500 24 VALVE CUMMINS SARTED TO LOOSE THROTTLE RESPONSE AFTER I USED THE CRUISE FOR AN EXTENDED TIME IF I STOMPED ON THE PEDDEL A FEW TIMES IT WOULD START TO WORK AGAIN THEN LATELY IT QUIT WORKING COMPLETELY AND THE CRUISE LIGHT WOULD COME ON AND OFF BY ITSELF AND THE TEMP GAGE WOULD PEG OUT THEN DROP BACK OFF I HAVE REPLACED THE PCM THINKING THAT WAS IT BUT ITS STILL NOT WORKING ODOM. CODES ARE SAYING LOW VOLTAGE BUT THAT MIGHT BE BECAUSE OF ME DRAINING THE BATTERIES FROM STARTING

ANY IDEAS

·
Registered
160 Posts
Could you tell me what codes you have? Off hand it sounds like the APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) to me. There are no adjustments to this and must be rreplaced as a unit. It's basically the same as the old Throttle Position Sensor on the older diesels.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My pleasure bro. You kknow i like to help when I can :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
odometer codes

0575,0121,0217,0237,0562,0112,1488 if these can tell you any thing all i get from them is that i had low voltage at some point

·
Registered
160 Posts
OK well these vehcles have 2 controllers. They have a PCM and a ECM. The PCM is by the firewall on the passanger side. The ECM is bolted to the drivers side of the engine block. Can you tell me which one you replaced?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ed is your man if you have a problem with your mopar!

·
Registered
160 Posts
OK just wanted to make sure. I still believe your problem is with the APPS as I said in the beginning. I have replaced many of them for the conditions you are describing. This does need to be calibrated if you replace it. It's a simple procedure. Turn the ignition key on (do not start), slowly press the pedal all the way to the floor and then slowly release. Turn the key off and you are calibrated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No once they are calibrated to a controller thats it.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
On those, I would check what controls those gauges, and what gives the gauges their information. The cruise control may be just going bad or you might have water some where to cause intermittent problems. Check Relays and connections. Unlike the DuraMaxs and some Fords, is this year of Dodge capable of having the gauges and cruise control scanned? I know If I hook a Snapon Scan tool or the like, I can control cruise and check gauges.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the temp gage is pegging out as well as the cruise light comming on and off and the temp gage wire runs straight to the ecu

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Temp guage is might be bad. The cruise control? Be better off not using it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the problem is that when the light goes on and off and the temp gage goes up and down i loose throttle and runs like shit
and the gage still goes up and down when its not hooked up

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
You have an electrical short some where at the junction where they all meet, or in the harness. Other then that I am shooting in the Dark. It is hard to diagnose a problem on a truck unseen. Not all information will be correct in some cases.

·
coolest parts guys around
40 Posts
Could you tell me what codes you have? Off hand it sounds like the APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) to me. There are no adjustments to this and must be rreplaced as a unit. It's basically the same as the old Throttle Position Sensor on the older diesels.
thats where i would put my eggs too I just went through that on a buddy's 01

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
thats where i would put my eggs too I just went through that on a buddy's 01
DARAM you never said if you did that?

the problem is that when the light goes on and off and the temp gage goes up and down i loose throttle and runs like shit
and the gage still goes up and down when it's not hooked up
Brice what do you think about this one? I am lost. Not much info to go with, I did ask if he went through the basics. I think I might be missing something here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
let me start over the truck started running bad, real bad had no throttle response and at the same time as this the temp gage was pegging out and the cruise light would go on and off un hooked the temp sensor and traced the wire straight to the ecu on the side of the block odometer coded for ecu 0575,0121,0217,0237,0562,0112,1488,0606 i don't think its a short

1 - 20 of 24 Posts