Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am a Newby from the Bay Area in California. I join this site because I want to get a Diesel Truck and thought this would be a good place for people to help me make a good decision on what truck to buy.

I am looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton Diesel Powered Truck. Looking for something used that is reliable to pull my small 14 foot enclosed trailer, but looking into the future of getting a larger trailer to possibly transport a car and my Car Care products to Shows.
I'm kind of a Ford Guy, but I heard they are still tweaking their diesel motors. GM trucks seem to have the same problems along with the transmission too. Not a real big fan of Chrysler Products, but I heard Dodges with the Cummins is very reliable and if that's so then I will convert.
I am looking for some accurate information on what models and year to look for.
Thanks in advance
David (Yo)

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Wow! What an intro!
Welcome to diesel forums!
As to the answers to your question, but before I do I have but one question in two parts. How much do you wan't to spend, and the maximum age you will allow?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! What an intro!
Welcome to diesel forums!
As to the answers to your question, but before I do I have but one question in two parts. How much do you wan't to spend, and the maximum age you will allow?

I figure mid-20s and last 2005 and newer should bring me within some more advanced technology.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome to Diesel Forums
Glad you decided to come to DF for your research.
I would be curious to know what the similar issues GM has with the Ford's Superduty and the said, transmission issues...

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
You know all three have their inherent problems. However; my advice to you would be
1. 2005-7 Cummins Ram. Highly Reliable week transmission
2. 2005-7 GM Duramax. Most tunable and fuel efficient, The transmission does not like any mods over 500hp
3. 2006-9 Ford Power Stroke. Not my favorite years But it has good looks and good power. the emissions junk is its drawback.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know all three have their inherent problems. However; my advice to you would be
1. 2005-7 Cummins Ram. Highly Reliable week transmission
2. 2005-7 GM Duramax. Most tunable and fuel efficient, The transmission does not like any mods over 500hp
3. 2006-9 Ford Power Stroke. Not my favorite years But it has good looks and good power. the emissions junk is its drawback.

Thanks Rustin What about any new models?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
welcome to the dieselforums from one of your friendly forum super moderators. I hope you continue to come back often, to become a valuable member of our forum.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Thanks Rustin What about any new models?
To soon to say! All three are in a power struggle to be king of the hill. The only way we will find out is by the warranty claims. Now would be a good time for an outsider car company to come in and build a diesel truck while these three go at it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts