Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Oregon. I am getting ready to retire and do some rving. I found this forum from my rv forums and have found it helpful in the past in figuring and understanding tow ratings etc. I'm no mechanic but like to be knowledgible about the vehicles I operate. Now I need some help regarding a rig I'm looking at.

I have been researching short fifth-wheels (24-26) I would also be needing a tow rig. When I started out the day I had neither. Now I have an opportunity to get an older Artic Fox in good condition along with the truck and everything to tow. Truck is a 1996 F250 powerstroke turbo diesel 7.3L 4x4 manual, extended cab with 148K. He calls it a Canadian model because it came with a lot of chrome. Seems in pretty good condition. Whole pkg truck and trailer $12K. Don't know anything about Ford diesel. Had a '95 GMC diesel, manual at one time. Would appreciated any thoughts. Have lots of questions. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Welcome to diesel forums.
$12,000 for both is a steal.
the 7.3 powerstroke is a proven and reliable motor,and my opinion the best diesel ford put in their trucks.
I would recomend if you decide to get the truck to take it to a shop you trust and have them do a through inspection on the truck before you get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's good to know. The set-up is about 4 hrs away in Bend, OR. Anyone know a good shop in that area? I'll start making some calls in the AM. Re: the diesel. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? 148K mileage any problem or special needs at this time? What about getting someone to work on it while I am traveling. Expense vs gas rig. Any and all input welcome.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You can post a thread here and some member might know a good shop that can look at it.148,000 miles is nothing to a well maintained diesel. And i would recomend a good air filter to help the motor breath better.As for a good place to fix your truck while traveling is more of a hit and miss.Also i would recomend an egt gauge to help keep an eye on your temps. As for the repair bill diesel vs. gas. Diesel will cost more because of the tight tolerances that a diesel has,compared to a diesel.And you most likely will pay more for fuel than gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, dumb question time. I've read a number of posts that talk about installing a temp gauge to check transmission temp etc. Besides watching it what do you do about it? Stop? Or is there some other action that is indicated? Thanks for your patience. The learning curve is a bit steep but determined to learn.

·
Registered
935 Posts
no question is dumb.
Basicly the tranny temp qauge helps you keep an eye on your transmission temps so you don't fry you transmission when your pulling through a mountain for example.They are recomended if the truck has an auto tranny. There are safe and dangerous temps.And in cases of you noticing the temps being high you can pull over and let the temps cool down. And if you dont have the gauge and your temps are to high you can fry your transmision.Thats an expensive fix.Dont worry about the questions,everybody learns something all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK- thanks! This truck have a 5sp manual transmission does it still need a temp guage? It comes as a package deal with a 1999 Artic Fox 24-5N fifth-wheel trailer. Trailer GVWR is 10,000. I don't know any of the weight ratings on the truck but the owner has been using this combo to vacation for the last 6 yrs. About 7-8k per year on the truck during that time. Any upgrades I should consider?

·
Registered
935 Posts
A temp gauge for the manual transmission couldn't hurt. The weight of the truck would probably around the 6/7,000# area.As for upgrades i would look into a cold air intake setup,that will help your engine breath bettter. And a better exhaust system to help get rid of the exhaust better. With just these two upgrades you may motice the truck run a little better and you also may see your fuel milage go up a little.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
No need for a temp gauge for a m/t. Just an EGT gauge will be fine. I tried looking for a diesel performance shop for you. ... ... the nearest one I can think of is in Eureka. Or come over here to Redding and have Jefferson State Diesel have a look at it. But on such a low milage truck I don't think there are going to be many issues with it. The only major thing to really look into is the injectors. Power Strokes of your year Will develop injector problems after 120,000 miles. Keep in mind that the Power-plant was developed before ultra low sulfur diesel. So keep some RevX, Lukas, or the trusty Marvels Mystery oil on hand with every fill up.
Your in good hands
My truck is Canadian too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to update everyone on the truck -I OWN IT- and to thank everyone who took the time to respond. What a wonderfully helpful site. I spent hours reading, learning prior to going to pick up up the 5er. The truck I had to decide on the spot. The good: outside it was straight and shiny, inside was showroom perfect, no scratches, tears, cracks. Test drove, shifted smooth, drove straight no pull. No oil on the driveway, fluids looked, smelled ok. Tires were '04's but had 80% tread. Three different wiring setups in truck panel, plus li'l rocker 15K 5er hitch plus about 5 different stingers and ball sizes. I even looked under the truck, hmmm.. looked like a truck. Didn't see anything that was cracked or hanging loose. 4x4 worked fine, tight turns good. Soooo I took it! The less good: it won't start unless plugged in (yeararound)?!? Glow plugs? A little growly vibration sometimes clutch in at 1st gear shift and when I turn it off. I decided it might be a balance problem of some kind since it didn't happen much. It ran much quieter than I expected. I love it. Thanks again to everyone I am sure to have lots more questions soon!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Congradsulations on the purchase. When you have more questions post in the ford 7.3 section. Now lets see some pics.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
:iagree::iagree::iagree: PICTURES (in the Ford section of the forum)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts