Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here, I don't have a diesel truck in any form, but I'm looking to get one sometime within the year, and am looking to learn as much as I can about before I make the purchase so I don't get screwed or anything like that.

The most I know about turbo diesels are:
-No spark plugs
-turbo charged
-Use Diesel Fuel
-Lots of torque

A couple of questions to start off with, and I do intend to search around eventually when I have time:

1. How is gas mileage and is there any way to make it better.
2. What is the maintenance like, all I know is gas engines.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome to Diesel Forums
I'm glad your here and glad you chose DF for your truck purchase research.

Depending on your driving habits you can expect anywhere between 17 to 23mpg
Heavy towing you could possible get 10 to 19mpg

Getting a tuner will improve on those numbers. As you have probably already heard. Diesel engine services are a little more expensive then gas engine trucks. But I firmly believe it balances out some what in the long run with the money save in the price of diesel compared to gas.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
welcome to the dieselforums John, from one of your friendly forum super moderators. I hope you continue to come back often, to become a valuable member of our forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome. The truck I'm looking at is a 2005-2007 model. What the mileage like and what can you improve it to?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hi Gryffinwings
Now I don't want you to take this the wrong way. I'm asking you this with the ut most respect.
Why are you asking about operation affordability already??? Do you think this might be an issue???
And what is your Model preference???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Gryffinwings
Now I don't want you to take this the wrong way. I'm asking you this with the ut most respect.
Why are you asking about operation affordability already??? Do you think this might be an issue???
And what is your Model preference???
I'm not asking about so much operation affordability, so much as getting a good bang for the buck, plus I'd rather not having to keep filling the tanks up all the time if I can help it. Nothing wrong with wanting better gas mileage as long as you know what to expect with what your looking into. And no, I don't think this will be an issue.

I don't have a clear model preference. I've been looking at the 2005-2007 Ford F-250s at the moment. I've been reading about them a bit. Honestly I wouldn't mind opinions of other models.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome to the forum diesels rock, [i prefer cummins] all are a little more expensive to maintain but they will outlast gas engines and the torque is un matched. And with basic mods will increase in hp. by leaps and bounds over gas motors.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'll give you my Chev endorsement LOL
If your considering a Chev in that era ??? (2005 to 2007) You will be looking at the LBZ and the older LLY Duramax engines. Awesome engines and easily tuned with any plug and play tuners and great resalts with the EFILive tuner.
At stock these engines are making 300 hp and over 600 torque. After a tune they can make over 400 hp
EFILive has tune setting. You can manually set your tuner to economy to save on millage are set it to #5 to play with the boys at the track. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what would be the reliability of a diesel, if you not doing any heavy towing besides the occasional car towing?

I'm assuming heavy towing and hauling brings down reliability and longevity?

What are the benefits between the big threes trucks? And is there a big difference for my usage?

·
Registered
124 Posts
As far as the big three i beleve it starts with brand loyalty,price,styling. I personally like the cummins 12 valve engine and gen. 2 body style. The ford trucks are ok my choice would be the 7.3 lots of bad reports on the 6.0,as far as chevy/gmc duramax seems to be a good powerplant and the allison transmission can't be beat. Maint on all 3 is about the same as are the prices for filters ect. Fuel mileage is average 13-18 city on all 3 depending on gear ratio. I personally don't like any of the brand new body styles, chevy/gmc completly awful,dodge just horrid,ford is not bad [still looks like a truck not starwarsey]. Good luck in your search talk with folks who own them best opinions are from folks who own them then you can decide from there.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have to agree... All the big three will pretty much be the same in reg service.
Shop around for your filters and oil.
Loyalty is important as long as the truck you choose gives you what you need.
My advice is the next time your at the mall, stop a guy that's driving a truck you may be interested in and ask him questions. A true truck guy will never turn down a chase to talk about his ride.
Let us know how your research is going.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Welcome to DF from Colorado.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts