Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase my first diesel and want to do it right. been doing about 2 years of research and i still have no answer i just have opinions. What is the best diesel 5.9 cummins 03-04 (no 6.7) or gmc sierra/ silverado
looking for 2500 and a price under 27k. I am trying to stray away for costly repairs Engines/Trannies. as i put 3 engines in my f150 and yeah i will not buy any ford diesel. let me know i would really apreciate it!

jake

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Sorry to here you don't like the PowerStrokes. The 7.3l is a real strong workhorse. As far as the cost on possible repairs. I would go with the Cummins compared to the D-max. The 24 valve Vp44 or Common rail is an excellent choice. The older 12valves would be even cheaper to maintain. Those engine sets will out last the truck it was produced for, literally! If you wanted a good mix of durability and performance by all means the 7.3l will give you the best of both worlds! I drive an early 1999 and get good fuel economy, and the truck is easy to maintain.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Oh yeah This is Newbie Check in! Doggone. How come technical questions get posted?
Oh well I hope I was able to help

WELCOME
TO
DIESEL FORUMS

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
welcome to the forum... i will give you a simple diesel question for you to answer

what brand motor is the most swapped in diesel motor into vehicles in the u.s?

i will give you a clue.. its found in tons of big rigs, commercial trucks and trucks that have a goat as it's logo

i am not a dodge owner but out of the cummins and duramax, i would take the cummins.. very very proven motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i recently bought a 96 2500 cummings and couldnt be happier. I also have a friend who has the exact same truck with 479000 miles on it. And believe it or not it is still a work horse.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Welcome to DF!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel Forums....Glad to have you on board!!!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome !!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
welcome to df from a cummins 12valve owner.This engine hasn't disappointed me yet.The 7.3L is also a great motor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts