Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I'm a new member with a fairly recently purchased 1990 250 Dodge Cummins (emphasis on the Cummins). I bought it on the advice of my mechanic when I was ready to replace my previous vehicle (Astro van) with something that would be more suitable for the hauling I do related to my chainsaw carving efforts. He said if I could find a 1990 to 95 Cummins with low miles I should buy it--so I did (150,000 miles, Calif. truck, 2 wd). At my age (76) this will likely be the last vehicle I'll buy. What has been the experience of others that may have owned one of these? Did I make a good choice? I've been very happy with it so far. I'm getting less mpg than others I've heard of--I get about 18-19 mpg unloaded. I'm going to have the valves adjusted. Might that help? Any other suggestions? What might I gain,or lose, by moving up to a later year model? Recommended oil change intervals? Would synthetic oil be advisable? Thanks for reading this. All replies will be appreciated and I hope someday I may be able to share something worthwhile. (my profile shows that my truck is a Ford. It should be Dodge, of course.)

Ol' Roy

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi. I'm a new member with a fairly recently purchased 1990 250 Dodge Cummins (emphasis on the Cummins). I bought it on the advice of my mechanic when I was ready to replace my previous vehicle (Astro van) with something that would be more suitable for the hauling I do related to my chainsaw carving efforts. He said if I could find a 1990 to 95 Cummins with low miles I should buy it--so I did (150,000 miles, Calif. truck, 2 wd). At my age (76) this will likely be the last vehicle I'll buy. What has been the experience of others that may have owned one of these? Did I make a good choice? I've been very happy with it so far. I'm getting less mpg than others I've heard of--I get about 18-19 mpg unloaded. I'm going to have the valves adjusted. Might that help? Any other suggestions? What might I gain,or lose, by moving up to a later year model? Recommended oil change intervals? Would synthetic oil be advisable? Thanks for reading this. All replies will be appreciated and I hope someday I may be able to share something worthwhile. (my profile shows that my truck is a Ford. It should be Dodge, of course.)

Ol' Roy
Welcome to the Diesel Forumz from Kansas. Great site with great people. If you have any questions feel free to ask. We'll do our best to help :cool:

That is a good choice. They are stout vehicles. Adjusting the valves is a good idea but your ,ileage probably won't change much. Oil change is about 6K. You have the 12 v I believe. The 24 v is a bit better but nothing wrong with the 12v. Most of the folks I know (Farmers and Cattlemen) use Mystic 15W-40

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel Forums from Texas:wavey:
Glad to have you here!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome to the Forums!!! Glad to have ya aboard!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey Roy, welcome from San Antonio! Glad you joined us. :smileup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome to the forum i have a 98 had a 95 both 12 valve cummins like your engine both automatics my 95 got 18 city/23 highway had 3:56 gears,my 98 gets 14.5 city/? highway 4:11 gears. I change oil every 3000 miles i use rotella 15/40 oil non synthetic.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!! Glad to have you here!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome to the DF! Nothin wrong with an old truck, I have a '96 F250 myself, and love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts