Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody its great to be at such a great forum. i hope to recieve and give advice to anyone i can help. I do have a question though. I have a question or more so a problem i cant figure out on my truck. I have a 03
dodge cummins and its very hard to start lately. You can start it with the starter and hit it with starting fluid and it will start. You can roll it down a hill pop the clutch and it will start. I have checked the lift pump and changed the batteries with no luck. Im thinking maybe injection pump but would it start rolling down a hill if the injection pump was going bad? I have also looked very hard for a loose ground wire and have found nothing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated if anyone has ever ran across this problem. thanks in advance.
gaspedal

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome to diesel forums. Glad your here. Enjoy your stay.
I hope your problem doesn't stem from your user name. GASpedal LOL just kiddy.

Have the injector been replaced in your rig's 8 yr life?
Fuel filter replaced recently?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I forgot changing the fuel filter was the very first thing I have tried.
As far as the injectors as far as I know they are the original ones. I bought the truck second hand. Is checking the injectors something a average shade tree mechanic can do or am I going to have to take it to a dealer for that? Thanks for responding looking forward to hear what you think on this.
gaspedal

·
Registered
543 Posts
Welcome to DF from Colorado.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'm not sure how easy it is to do injectors on your Cummins but I wouldn't want to attempt it for the first time on my every day driver.

Ask your dealership to run your VIN to see if they've been done

·
Registered
935 Posts
cummins motors don't have glow plugs. they have a grid heater.How does the motor run after you get it running.
Welcome to DF

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I can't believe you.... Never mind you're ZOMBIE! And we love you!

:hah:
I would say check out your glow plugs snd glow plug relays.. Sounds like you may not be getting your cylinders warm enough
:thk:

LOL!
FAIL!

Before doing any of the following (with the exception of Zombie :doh:)
Check for fuel line pressure and fuel pressure to the injectors. You have an ISB cummins so you might have to consider that the fuel pump on that truck is a notorious problem. However, I think in your case, it's fuel delivery. SO start with the usual, Scan for codes (it's an ISB it can be scanned) and start looking for fuel line problems before ripping out injectors and such. Start with than inline pressure regulator to test the sending unit in the tank. and work your way to the front. You will need to know the original pressure specifications to help you with eliminating problems.

·
Registered
935 Posts
:hah: :thk:

LOL!
FAIL!

Before doing any of the following (with the exception of Zombie :doh:)

Check for fuel line pressure and fuel pressure to the injectors. You have an ISB cummins so you might have to consider that the fuel pump on that truck is a notorious problem. However, I think in your case, it's fuel delivery. SO start with the usual, Scan for codes (it's an ISB it can be scanned) and start looking for fuel line problems before ripping out injectors and such. Start with than inline pressure regulator to test the sending unit in the tank. and work your way to the front. You will need to know the original pressure specifications to help you with eliminating problems.
:smileup:Good point, you need fuel,air and compression to start a diesel.Start by checking those first.Then go from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello eveyone and thank you to evey one who replied. Sorry i been out of pocket lately. The truck idles faster then normal (about 1ooo rpm) and if you have the cruise control on and are going down a hill you feel the motor bumping like your setting their bumping the throttle.
The truck has 2 codes set on it.
P0480
P2509
If I looked them up right its a fan issue and power issue to the ecm.
Not sure what they mean on the 2509 code
Thanks everybody.
gaspedal

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Good you scanned it!

Hello eveyone and thank you to evey one who replied. Sorry i been out of pocket lately. The truck idles faster then normal (about 1ooo rpm) and if you have the cruise control on and are going down a hill you feel the motor bumping like your setting their bumping the throttle.
The truck has 2 codes set on it.
P0480
P2509

If I looked them up right its a fan issue and power issue to the ecm.
Not sure what they mean on the 2509 code
Thanks everybody.
gaspedal
This is a common problem for your truck. Even though your truck runs? Here is a video of the fix with information. Admin I need a Retrain on how to get the BB code to post the video, If you fix it I will be obliged? Thank you for scanning your truck. It usually the first thing I do when diagnosing a problem.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
gaspedal? Thank you for scanning the truck. It's really hard for us to diagnose on a vehicle unseen with information from the internet. By you scanning it, it saved you a bit of time diagnosing the problem, and helped us in finding out what is actually going on. Not always is it an electrical issue that will send a code. It not always the case that a problem would produce a code. But it helps with the process of elimination. It sure seemed like a fuel issue to me? Let us know how it goes.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Up on the righthand corner is a pair of weights. I just gave you a reputation point for doing the right thing for your truck.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Fixed it for ya Rustin.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Geeze !!!! That's a helpful video.
Rustin... You should be makin videos like that... just rollin in the $$$

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
You all must have really missed me!

Fixed it for ya Rustin.
I appreciate that! Thanks Rattlesnake!

Geeze !!!! That's a helpful video.
Rustin... You should be makin videos like that... just rollin in the $$$
:LOL: You boys have no clue of my involvement in the diesel performance industry. BTW It's hard to make a video. Some guys can do it off the cuff without a script and some can't. I found that out the other day. Heck, for me to edit one hour of content takes me 8 hours. Any one of you can do a video. It's getting found that is the key.

OH here is a video Gwen and I did for our company. For some reason I could not relax. I acted like I was back in the corps. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to everybody here for your help. I just got back where I could get back to the forums. Just checked out the video from youtube man that is it to a t. Going to change the clutch fan this weekend if not before and I will be sure and keep everyone updated. Thanks again this form ROCKS!!!!!

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
And another satisfied member. So I'm gona ask again. Did any of you all miss me?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts