Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
As you can see this is my 1st post, and I'm trying to buy a used truck to serve my family and my needs for years to come. Feel free to correct me if Im wrong on anything in this thread but heres my long story. My budget is currently $20,000 or less, and what im looking for is a f250 or 350 4x4 extended, or crew cab, xlt or larait with lower miles(under 70,000). I want to use the truck mostly for normal highway driving, but I will also be towing car trailers, snowmobile trailers, and equiptment trailers at times. Im looking for diesel because they can handle almost anything, and they get alot better gas mileage than a gas truck. Heres the dilema: The issues im having is i have to finance this truck, so my local credit union requires the truck to be within the nada value guidlines. Also diesel trucks around my neck of the woods are bringing crazy money new and used, and usually used trucks that are in my budget are higher mileage, and or beat from winter driving in the salt. So I recently decided to look all over the usa for a truck and from my search I've found some nice deals on trucks. But I've heard that the 6.0l engine is a BAD way to go, and all the current trucks that I like have the 6.0l in it. So all the ford diesel junkies please chime in and point me in the right direction!!! I've always wanted a diesel, but im about ready to give up!! Thanks everyone!!

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Hi Fonz
Welcome to the Forum.
To answer your post, It would be hard to find a truck in or around 70,000 miles at under $20,000. You may have to go out of state or just out of your area to find a good truck.
The 6.0l have had a bad reputation but if you buy one now I will bet that all of the problems will have been fixed. provided that you have bought it from a Ford dealer. I would suggest, that if your into saving the family money, get an older Cummins 2003-2006 truck. Excellent fuel economy and all around good towing power. and then put it in a Ford. LOL! or go find a 7.3l if your after the Ford option. just stay away from the 2002-2003. They have the PMR Rods. The Fords will handle the salt better then most trucks. Any D-max is Great. All will have higher maintenance costs comparatively to the Gas. but you will save in fuel economy.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yup, if your into the fords,go for the 7,3L. I'ts proven itself to a very dependable motor.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
They all have some sort of issue when they start to show signs of age. It's the maintenance schedule you should be looking at when buying a used Ford diesel. 95-96 were decent trucks. The 97 was the last year before the new body style. So You just have to research it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sir,
Really consider what you need to pull and the work you need to do. 6.0L's are doing well if it has a set of head studs, EGR delete and a light tune. But look at the mpg and the maintenance costs of the diesels. 6.4L are fuel pigs unless you delete the DPF system. The 6.7 is great but high cost. Gas trucks - yes I know the mpg my 5.4 gas has the power to pull my car hauler but the hills mpg is 9.0. 7.3L is about 13. Oil change is very high on the diesels 75.00 vs 25.00. Add it all up and see what a new gas truck costs. The F150 with the ECO-Boost pulls a trailer and the truck has the ability to do most stuff.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Sir,
Really consider what you need to pull and the work you need to do. 6.0L's are doing well if it has a set of head studs, EGR delete and a light tune. But look at the mpg and the maintenance costs of the diesels. 6.4L are fuel pigs unless you delete the DPF system. The 6.7 is great but high cost. Gas trucks - yes I know the mpg my 5.4 gas has the power to pull my car hauler but the hills mpg is 9.0. 7.3L is about 13. Oil change is very high on the diesels 75.00 vs 25.00. Add it all up and see what a new gas truck costs. The F150 with the ECO-Boost pulls a trailer and the truck has the ability to do most stuff.
Where have you been, and Welcome to the Forum. We could always use more knowledgeable members to help out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts