Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my Diesel education at Wyotech in blairsville PA. I've been into diesel's for quite some time and trucks are my passion so hey, why not work on them right? I'm still up in the air about what i'm buying after i finish my chassis fab elective, i'm looking at an 06 mega cab cummins with 60k on it but i also wouldn't mind a Dmax. I've also thought about just getting a 12 valve and staying mechanical. Powerstroke is out of the question.....
I know the pros and cons of both trucks, but what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Well.... Me? I'm all about the Durability of the Duramax, and the comfort and luxury and XM radio of my Silverado.

How did you like the Diesel program at Wyotech?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Either one would be good. EFILive can be used with both.
Welcome to the Forum. Has Wyotech set you up with an employer yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really liked the diesel program here. The only thing i wish they did differently is make it longer honestly. 8 months of diesel is not enough time to learn everything you need to know to go into this business in my opinion, i mean we learn how to rebuild transmissions, engines, rears, set injectors and valves all the big stuff but we don't learn the little stuff for example suspension parts we hardly touched on. But no they haven't set me up with an employer yet, i still have two 8 week phases to go though for my elective. They have a resume class up here and everything so ive made a complete resume since ive been here and they have job fairs 3-4 times a year and bring employers from all over the country. they'll send out 40 resumes for you and will help you get a job for the rest of your life. :smileup:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
That sound good !!!! I can see your gonna get a good job in no time at all... Does the big 3 have a good presence in Wyotech... Do you get to work on the Fords Dodges and Chevs? or is it all mostly Cummins

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well its heavy duty diesel, therefor no you do not. Cummins, Detroit, and CAT. there are like 5 different cats to work on, the N14 cummins, ISX cummins, and Detroit 60 series (EGR and Non-EGR). you can take Light duty diesel for an elective and then youll work on cummins powerstroke and Duramax. it all depends on what you want to do

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I really liked the diesel program here. The only thing i wish they did differently is make it longer honestly. 8 months of diesel is not enough time to learn everything you need to know to go into this business in my opinion, i mean we learn how to rebuild transmissions, engines, rears, set injectors and valves all the big stuff but we don't learn the little stuff for example suspension parts we hardly touched on. But no they haven't set me up with an employer yet, i still have two 8 week phases to go though for my elective. They have a resume class up here and everything so ive made a complete resume since ive been here and they have job fairs 3-4 times a year and bring employers from all over the country. they'll send out 40 resumes for you and will help you get a job for the rest of your life. :smileup:
With all of that were there much electrical diagnostics and understanding the electronic control systems?
Reason why I asked is I have an A/S in Diesel Technology and plan to get my bachelors I have been approached to help teach in one of their programs. I have yet to give my answer. they are not the same company as they were 3 years ago.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
That sound good !!!! I can see your gonna get a good job in no time at all... Does the big 3 have a good presence in Wyotech... Do you get to work on the Fords Dodges and Chevs? or is it all mostly Cummins
they don't touch on those to much. It's mostly highway transportation and off road equipment. Once your done you should be able to understand the light duty vehicles. It's all the sam concept. It's the electrical and computer systems that needs to be covered. After one is done with the program, you do have the option to get training fro the big three.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they have a whole phase(semester) on Engine management systems and they throw refrigeration in there as well. you learn all about the electronic unit injectors and basically the whole computer and all the sensors. theres alot to cover in that class in that short time so its not really my strong point. theyve changed alot recently. the school is actually starting to spend money and get some decent equipment to work on

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
they have a whole phase(semester) on Engine management systems and they throw refrigeration in there as well. you learn all about the electronic unit injectors and basically the whole computer and all the sensors. theres alot to cover in that class in that short time so its not really my strong point. theyve changed alot recently. the school is actually starting to spend money and get some decent equipment to work on
If you can, try and make electrical and computer systems your strong point. You will go a long way compared to just a guy who wrenches.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you can, try and make electrical and computer systems your strong point. You will go a long way compared to just a guy who wrenches.
Good point rustin. Most of the engines out today are elect. controled. Especially, with paccar's new mx motor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah ive been working on it more and more. getting familiar with like electronic unit injectors and all that fun stuff. god mechanical is so much easier but the new electric.... so many things can me done and monitored and the engine lasts sooooo much longer

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Good point rustin. Most of the engines out today are elect. controled. Especially, with paccar's new mx motor.
Thats a Cummins designed and manufactured power-plant.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
yeah ive been working on it more and more. getting familiar with like electronic unit injectors and all that fun stuff. god mechanical is so much easier but the new electric.... so many things can me done and monitored and the engine lasts sooooo much longer
Your on your way. Look up Pittsburgh Power. Once you start to understand the software on these Power-plants. You will understand what this guy does to get more out of them.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Thats a Cummins designed and manufactured power-plant.
Nope, cummins has nothing to do with this motor.It was designed and built by paccar only.
I thought that at first, but i talked to one of the reps one day and was told the motor is not cummins, or has anything to do with cummins.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Nope, cummins has nothing to do with this motor.It was designed and built by paccar only.
I thought that at first, but i talked to one of the reps one day and was told the motor is not cummins, or has anything to do with cummins.
Your right. Here is a link and an excerpt. You got me. I'm still sure they helped in the design.

http://fleetowner.com/news/topstory/0205-paccar-mx-engine-kenworth/

During his remarks, Pigott had high praise for Cummins, Inc., a long-time engine supplier to Paccar and a development partner in the MX project. “The Cummins group has been the best partner in the world,” he noted. The new MX will incorporate Cummins components, including their turbocharger, and Cummins engines will continue to be available for Peterbilt and Kenworth trucks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
During his remarks, Pigott had high praise for Cummins, Inc., a long-time engine supplier to Paccar and a development partner in the MX project. “The Cummins group has been the best partner in the world,” he noted. The new MX will incorporate Cummins components, including their turbocharger, and Cummins engines will continue to be available for Peterbilt and Kenworth trucks.

ok rustin ,you got me there.:smileup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts