Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys so I’m needing to buy a new diesel pretty soon and I’m pretty stuck on what to get, I had a 2011 duramax and had 0 issues, I traded it for a 17 L5P and had a bunch of issues and had to lemon law them. I did end up getting a 17 powerstroke and recently when I was having the upper oil pan seal redone they told me I have shavings in my oil with 102k on the motor. I have no other choice but to be in the market for another truck. I just want something reliable engine and transmission wise, was the l5P issues ever fixed? Are the new Cummins reliable when mated to a asin? Also did I just get crappy luck with my ford. Please any help and comparison between all 3 new diesels would be amazing. I try to keep my vehicle till they are toast what motor and transmission can I stretch the furthest

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, I will say to start with, I avoid that four letter F word like the plague. I used to drive nothing but Ford products but going into the 1970's every newer model I bought was continually worse, to the point I won't consider them anymore. I know guys that swear by them, but I got tired of swearing at them. Having had my little rant, I will move on. The biggest problem with the newer diesel pickups is the emissions systems, but if they are driven highway a lot, especially when towing, they seem to get along pretty good. The 2021 Rams, whether with the Aisin trans or the 68RFE are decent trucks. The Aisin trans shifts kind of funky and they feel like there is something amiss but that is just the nature of them. The 2019-2020 year models have injector pump failures because FCA went to a CP4 pump that was a total FUBAR, but they regressed to the CP3 for 2021 and they have been very reliable. I bought my 2500HD Cummins new in 2011 and the only trans offered in this model was the 68RFE transmission and it has been totally reliable. I did have to change the turbo at 75,000 miles, but I don't think the newer Cummins have this problem. Ram has really stepped up there interior design since I bought mine. Before I opted for the Cummins I was looking seriously at GM Duramax but decided for the Cummins engine. I have a good friend that has a 2016 GMC 3500 (SRW) Duramax and it has been flawless since he bought it new after wrecking his older Duramax (no fault of his own).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts