Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just bought a 2011 3500 6.7 Cummins, and reading up on it it scares me after I hear about all this dpf plugging up and the problems that will arise if you dont drive it loaded hard all the time. I live in Canada and we dont have emission checks or standards for our diesels so I was wondering what I need to do to straight pipe me 6.7 by removing the egr and dpf and what ill need to fool the computer so i dont get codes, also approximately how much would all of it cost if it is possible to be done?. I want this machine to run more effieciently and burn less fuel, from what I hear these things can get down to 8 -9 mpgs under a normal load.

Did I screw myself over? Should I hav bought an older 5.9 to escape from these problems? You would think a $70 000 dollar truck would be a lot better for this.

Thanks guys any comments or help would be muchly appreciated

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Make sure you're not voiding your warranty before doing the mods. Go ahead and straight pipe the truck, and you will need to either re-flash the computer to eliminate DPF and EGR codes, and to eliminate DPF regeneration. Or install a programmer that will do exactly what was specified. You did not screw yourself over. That is a stout power-plant and a fine looking design of a truck! I'm glad they went to that look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks for helping me out! so i hear that a H&S programmer will contain both dpf and egr deletion options as well as i will need a dpf delete that will go in place of it. MY warranty will be void but i was thinking of having a bolt on dpf delete so when and if i go back to the dealer then i can put the dpf back on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay awesome thanks! i might wait till my warranty is up or at least wait maybe a year just to break the truck in

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
:Dyour truck won't be broke in till it reaches 150,000 miles.:D Just drive it normally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dont worry about the problem. I have a buddy that is a mechanic for a dodge dealer in Alberta, he says and i probably shouldnt say this. But deleting the DPF will void warrenty, so dont get rid of it. If you do get a message on your message center (between gauges) saying that your filter is 20+ % full/plugged (i forget exactly what it says) take the truck out onto the highway, drive minimal 110KM/H for minimal 30MINS. It will burn hot enough and will clean out the filter by it self. That is exactly what the dealership will do, except they also reset the message center, after they drive the piss out of your truck, and charge you a sh*t load of money.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Dpf = piece of shit
Diesel Particulate Filter.... I agree. Unnecessary added weight.
Diesel smoke and soot is going to fall and land on the ground eventually after it comes out the tail pipe.
The same after the DPF burns it off. The only difference is it's burnt a little more thoroughly. NO?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2010 and so far I am not impress with my mpg with the 6.7, I have owned a 99 and a 2006 and loved the 5.9. I have a little travel trailer that weighs in at a little over 7500 lbs fully loaded and the best I can get is 9.7 according to the evic system. Now I know it will be off just a little but WOW. In town my average is only 11.7.

I have a check engine light that keeps going off saying O2 sensor is reading lean (can't remember the code). I keep clearing the code with the Edge Tuner that is installed in the truck and I am just leaving it at the stock level setting and it still keeps popping the code. I want to know from a vendor here on what do I need to do to eliminate the DPF system and block off the EGR system and still be able to use this tuner or do I start completly over?

I need more MPG like my old 5.9 or off with this truck and back to a 5.9.

Any help from a vendor and point me to your web site would be great.

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Do you have a after market CAI
The previous owner could have possible treated the filter too heavily with the oil treatment contaminating the O2 sensor.
If you don't clean it or replace it? The code will keep coming back

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stock air box with a K&N filter. I had my truck serviced yesterday and was told the air filter did not need cleaning. I will check it myself.

I bought the truck brand new and the K&N filter was installed at 600 miles. My truck just rolled over to 11,000 miles. Been fighting the check engine light for the last 2,000 miles.

If you do get a message on your message center (between gauges) saying that your filter is 80+ % full/plugged

I got that message on the EVIC two weeks ago while towing my trailer and I was like WTF. It did it after I pulled Mt: Hood running the hell out of it.

Thanks for the advice. :smileup:

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I have a 2010 and so far I am not impress with my mpg with the 6.7, I have owned a 99 and a 2006 and loved the 5.9. I have a little travel trailer that weighs in at a little over 7500 lbs fully loaded and the best I can get is 9.7 according to the evic system. Now I know it will be off just a little but WOW. In town my average is only 11.7.

I have a check engine light that keeps going off saying O2 sensor is reading lean (can't remember the code). I keep clearing the code with the Edge Tuner that is installed in the truck and I am just leaving it at the stock level setting and it still keeps popping the code. I want to know from a vendor here on what do I need to do to eliminate the DPF system and block off the EGR system and still be able to use this tuner or do I start completly over?

I need more MPG like my old 5.9 or off with this truck and back to a 5.9.

Any help from a vendor and point me to your web site would be great.

Thanks
Rick

You will need a DPF Delete Pipe, EGR Delete Kit and a Tuner that will delete the DPF such as a Smarty, XRT Pro, H&S Mini Maxx or H&S Black Max.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So what you think I should do? I have my chip sold already so starting over is good for me. I don't need anything to go racing my truck just something comparable to the edge I guess. Smarty JR? I like the gauge package that the Edge package offers. Does the Smarty JR have something like that?

Also would you replace the whole exhaust system? If you do what brand?

Thanks again,
Rick

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
So what you think I should do? I have my chip sold already so starting over is good for me. I don't need anything to go racing my truck just something comparable to the edge I guess. Smarty JR? I like the gauge package that the Edge package offers. Does the Smarty JR have something like that?

Also would you replace the whole exhaust system? If you do what brand?

Thanks again,
Rick
If you want something similar to the Edge then choose the Mini Maxx or Black Maxx from H&S Performance. As far as exhaust systems go we could work you up a deal the a Black Maxx or Mini Maxx and a 5" Exhaust System.

Luke

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your help Luke, Could you pm me with a price for both. I would go with the H&S mini with pyro probe please. Exhaust I would like to go with something with a muffler. I use this truck for hunting so keeping it a littler quieter would be great..lol

Also throw in the EGR delete for the packaged price.

Out with the warranty...:smileup:

Thanks
Rick

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Thanks for your help Luke, Could you pm me with a price for both. I would go with the H&S mini with pyro probe please. Exhaust I would like to go with something with a muffler. I use this truck for hunting so keeping it a littler quieter would be great..lol

Also throw in the EGR delete for the packaged price.

Out with the warranty...:smileup:

Thanks
Rick

PM Sent :smileup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 6.7 check engine light on due to 02 sensors. It has been in dealers shop 8 times. Need help.
They replaced sensors, cleaned , reflashed computer .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts