Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning my 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7l diesel would not crank. I think the original batteries are still in it. The truck has gotten little use lately, so I figured I would charge the batteries and take it from there.

After charging both batteries the truck started right off, but now the engine malfunction light came on. Could the battery problem be related?

I found the error code to be 0633.

I'm planning on replacing both batteries tomorrow since they are old.

What do you folks recommend?

Thank you for your help.

Steve

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes,they could be the problem,(BUT) you said you got a check engine light.You need to hook up a scanner to see what it's telling you. The batteries may not be the problem,you may have another issue that needs dealt with and that may have caused the cranking problem. Is your display sending you a code?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I found the procedure that displays the code by turning the key on/of/on/off/on after I submitted my message.

The code is 0633. From what I found 0633 means "Immobolizer Key Not Programmed - ECM/PCM" but I have no idea what to do with that.

But I can't reproduce it. When I run the procedure the code is just dashes and the malfunction light remains on.

It's a heck of a coincidence that the malfunction light is coincident with the batteries being low.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have an idea. At work i have access to cummins quick serve online. It basicly means i can pull up anything about your motor, codes,ect. But, i need to know what your motors engine serial number is. Then i can pull up info on this code. You'll find the number on the data plate on the front of your engine. If you want to go this route?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey 97cummins,

Thanks for your help. This is what I found on the engine.
T57EF1937B1805
P53041412AB
53041 (printed on edge)
412AB (Large type).

The light went off since my last message, but I would like to know more about what went on.

Thanks again!

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Here is a link for you It's a PDF document that you do have the option to download. I think Trevor was on the right path for you.

0633 Skim Key Not Programed

As far as the battery issues that your having? It's time to test your electrical system starting with your batteries themselves. If they are older then 5 years time to replace. if not start with the easy stuff that you can see like the radio and other junk. We need to find if they are using up your stored energy. I did not find if the 0633 code was causing it. But with every truck there is something going on. No to trucks are the same. Has there ever ben any after market accessories installed?

·
Registered
935 Posts
ok,i'll take a look at the site tomorrow after work.
Lets also do what rustin said to.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Well i took a look at the site for your code and unfortunatly it didn't recognise the code.
So i went to tdr and it came up as (skim) then what rustin also found.
Another mechanic told me you can remove the battery cables,wait for a minute,then put the cables back on and wait about 10 minutes with the key on. That will basicly rewrite the ecu.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
97Cumimns, Rustin,

Looks like it's OK now. I'll replace the batteries since they are 5 years old just to avoid further trouble.

I appreciate your help very much.

swbouton

1 - 11 of 11 Posts