Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some input on which truck to get.

Below are my criteria:
1. Long bed for throwing the camper shell on.
2. Crew cab for comfortable seating in back.
3. Diesel for the long tows.
4. Stable towing for a large camper or 5th wheel.
5. Four wheel drive for mountain passes and offroading on BLM lands for camping.
6. Suspension that can handle some light offroading to get to the good campsites.
7. No DRW because this will be my only vehicle and I don't want to deal with the hassle of the extra size/width when doing non-heavy-duty tasks.

If I had to select right now I would go 2017+ GMC Sierra 2500 Denali or ATS, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get better financing and end up with the same payments if I go with a 2020 Silverado (I actually like the way the new ones look just fine). The main reason I say Sierra is it seems like their focus was towing confidence and as someone new to towing I appreciate the perks of any assistance I can get towing/staying safe. Safety features are a HUGE PLUS in general to me.

However, the main thing I'm trying to figure out is which is going to be my most reliable option for doing the above in a diesel pickup?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would advise to probably opt for one of the GM trucks but if you are towing heavy you should look into a 3500 SRW, but you will not be disappointed with a Ram 3500 also. I have a 2011 Ram/ Cummins and it is great but I said GM if you want or are required to leave the emission system intact.

·
Registered
2019 Duramax 6.6
2 Posts
We bought a used 2019 LTZ 2500 HD. I’m pleased with the truck. I would recommend buying anything newer than a 2017 if you’re buying a Chevrolet. I have read where the 2017 LP5 had sensor issues when they came out. Our 2019 will haul 10,000 lbs according to the owner manual. My wife drove it a while back and I got in it the other day and the driver information center was registering 27 miles on an average for 30 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts