Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Thank you for reading my post, I am in the market for a dodge truck and need some advice on what to stay away from and what to look for. I am living on the island of Maui and am looking at purchasing a 2000 dodge diesel dually 4x4 with 75,000 miles on it, the truck has a automatic transmission and is in great shape cosmetically, My family and I are thinking of purchasing the truck and shipping to california to drive back to our home state of Wisconsin. The asking price on the truck is 10,000 dollars. I am curious if this year truck has any problems to look for, also the overhead gauge in the truck said 10.5 mpg while we where test driving today, is this normal mpg, not sure of maintanence records for truck as far as fuel filter, oil changes, etc.. Any advice is very much appreciated. I have read that the automatic transmissions are troublesome for this year, is there any truth to that. If I find a good diesel mechanic are they able to test for any major problems before purchasing. Thank you again in advance

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome to diesel forums.
Glad your here. Enjoy your stay

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Welcome from Redding CA.
This is my answer to your thread and your previous thread. Purchasing an Island diesel and shipping it to the states
Now to answer your questions the fuel pump is the week link to that truck. But your not really going to be able to find it being a problem unless it is very noticeable or you have a way to test it properly. Check the transmission oil and make sure it's not burnt. look over the truck and make sure there is no over spray from being repainted. If it still retains the stock paint and it's good. Hmm... interesting! And very rare for an island truck. If that the case and it's a really good deal and drives and sounds good. put some marvel mystery oil in the fuel tank fill it with some good diesel and ship it home. keep a bottle of Marvel, RevX, or Lucas through your travels till you get home. other then that your on your own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts