Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum and don't currently own a diesel. (I can hear the collective gasp!) I am however, considering buying one, and that is why I am here. Here is my situation:

My wife & I decided we would like to get a newer and larger camper than what we currently own. Most of the campers we like exceed to rated towing capacity of my F150 Supercrew, so I am now probably moving up to a 3/4 ton truck. I've owned trucks all my life, but always gas. I am considering a diesel since they are obviously king when it comes to heavy towing. I know opinions are going to be somewhat biased based on the brand of truck sitting in your driveway, and likewise, I too am biased. I am not a GM guy, so my decision will be strickly between Ford or Dodge. I have always heard the Dodge Cummins is the best diesel truck engine, but on the down side, I've heard Dodge has had problems with their automatic trans. I've also learned that I should avoid 6.0 Powerstrokes, but the older 7.3's are pretty good. I should also mention that because of budget restraints, I am probably looking at a 2000-2005 model year truck.

So...any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially as it relates to towing capabilities and dependibility. Is there extra maintenance / upkeep involved in owning a diesel? What kind of miles/gallon can I expect to get with a diesel truck?
Thanks!
Kevin

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome to Diesel Forums Kevin
You come to the rite place to decide on you tow rig purchase.

Your rite... I'm bias and I think the DMax would full fill all your towing, traveling and mpg need. The Allison 6 spd transmission will also give you piece of mind towing through the mountains

If your shopping in the 2000 and 2005 era??? Keep doing your research. Insure the upgrades have been done to you choice of truck.

All the best in your search

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
If your sticking with Ford and Dodge They both have terrible transmissions. However they can be upgraded. If you like manual transmissions, those brands do have them, GM don't. Ford stopped putting in manual transmissions. I take that back GM had M/T for a short period. you might find them in those years, rare though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts