Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want a good cheap exhaust that will sound incredible, give me a boost in hp and torque, lower egt's etc. now with that being said, i dont know if i should go with a 4" turbo back or 5" turbo back.. muffler or staright pipe... lets discuss the options and convince me which to buy!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
"Sounds Incredible" is subjective, lots of guys like straight pipe, I prefer a muffler to take out some of the chop chop chop sounds and just leave a rumble.

Every exhaust out there will give you about the same HP and TQ increase, that won't be a selling point.

I generally recommend 4" because it's less expensive and there is very little (in some cases nothing) to be gained from 5". 5" pipe looks cool, sometimes had a deeper rumble (depending what you compare it to)...but unless you're making BIG power there won't be any other difference.

I personally think that the best bang for the buck is the MagnaFlow Pro Series stuff. Fantastic fit and finish, great sound, stainless steel, inexpensive...hard to beat.

http://shop.strictlydiesel.com/store.php/products/17979

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so there is no difference in power/torque on a relatively stock truck. im not planning on going nuts on getting power out of this motor. i was just planning on the turbo back, and a DIY intake and driving the damn thing. I am not looking to kill my 4r100 trans....

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
There will be a slight power and torque increase over stock, nothing huge...remember that exhaust is a "support" mod, not really a "power" mod. My point was that from one brand exhaust to another (aftermarket), there won't be any significant power differences. Your primary choice between aftermarket exhaust system is material type (aluminized, 409SS or 304SS) and sound.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
does the muffler quiet it down a lot, or just get rid of the flutter that straight pipe exhaust have?
I ran a MBRP 4 inch system on my 2001 7.3. Fit and finish were fantastic, could I tell a difference in the seat of the pants power? No.

I had a muffler at first and felt it was too quiet so I straight piped it and the common 7.3 Powerstroke "flutter" was greatly enhanced which I like.

James
RSD

·
Registered
252 Posts
4" turbo back straight pipe... I had that on my 7.3 and loved it!

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Go for the turbo back. You might want the IH up pipes to. They are what the bigger trucks that run the T444E use. Which is for the person that does not know the T444E is the 7.3 Liter PowerStroke. Strickt & RSD is right, 4 inches is the best bang for the buck. And you won't feel any power increase. Now if you add an intake kit and a flash tuner. Then you will get something!
Then your hooked! You need an updated HPOP, Regulated return, Fuel bowl delete, XX-fuels filtration system (or a FASS/AirDog), and New set of modified injectors. The list keeps going and going! I don't think it stops!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm sounds good to me... now to shop for the cheapest 4" turbo back exhaust, buy it and have it sit at home untill mid deployment leave so i can install it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll throw my opinion in, take it or leave it.
I bought 4" MBRP aluminized turbo back in the past year or so when I got rid of my stacks. Prior to installing it my truck was straight piped to just past my cab, and was a bit loud inside. So when my kit came with a muffler I went ahead and installed it. You can see 4" straight through the muffler so its not really restricting anything. It sounds good now and Im happy with it, still nice and throaty but not too bad in the cab when driving across the country.
I went with the aluminized because it was a little over $200 shipped for turbo back and I figured I can spend another 200 or so in 5 or 10 years if it does fail. Who knows if I will even have the truck then or if I will want that style exhaust in that amt of time.
Hope that helps ya!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I painted mine black with high temp paint as well to help protect it.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
hmmm sounds good to me... now to shop for the cheapest 4" turbo back exhaust, buy it and have it sit at home untill mid deployment leave so i can install it!
I need a reason to visit Colorado so when you get back. Let me know I can help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 4" diamond eye without the muffler, mostly cuz they couldn't figure out how to put it in.....:sad:but the price was right at the time & I like the sound it makes, then again anything would of been better then stock, + somehow:4-dontknow:cracked my old exhaust......:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
look into silverline turbo backs...thier pretty resonable..it'll help on the accel a bit and keep the egts down but no serious power gain..my buddy is runnin a 5" t-back on his 7.3 and it sounds pretty good

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
The bigger the exhaust the deeper it gets. I have always found that 5" is the max one needs. 4" is sensible for an upgrade to flow out the hot gasses. If one just did the exhaust there are marginal gains if any. If you think about it an increase of 10 ft lbs is nothing to really praise about. IF you did an exhaust and an intake you might feel a difference, when adding a flash tuner, controller or chip, you will then see some gains in performance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts