Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

New to the site...But have admired diesels for years !!

Always wanted a 4X4 diesel truck...I am undecided on makes and models right now.

My question...I commute 110 miles per day round trip to work...95% highway driving...Is a diesel the right choice for my commute vehicle as well as my fun vehicle ??

I will have nothing to tow, or haul in the forseeable future...So technically there is no "NEED" for a diesel...Just the "WANT"

I know the fuel is more costly then gas, and I am not sure on the maintenance costs as well...I would keep any mods limited to a tuner and exhaust.

Any insight would be appreciated...

Thanks !!!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
This is my honest opinion. NO
Not that we wouldn't like to have you as another valued member of the forum. but, If I was in your shoes // I would get one of those new high millage compact cars if I had to travel 110 miles a day.
If your area had diesel fuel cheaper then gas, I would buy a diesel truck.

Diesel rigs are a little more expensive to maintain then your typical gas truck if diesel was cheaper in your area... the added expense could be considered a wash.

Buy that compact.. and with the money you saved in commuting, buy that 3/4 ton diesel as a second vehicle :)

Welcome to diesel forums

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I will say yes!
If your driving a truck and thats all you want to drive. the diesel is the answer... Wait a second. you said no Gregg? Oh well not important. Diesels cost more to maintain. but they will get you home, and are very forgiving and able to let you know that you have a problem. The newer diesel are getting better in fuel economy. However, my ford gets better fuel economy then any gas rig and I drive over 200 miles a week. No gas truck that is the same in weight as mine will match it. Most diesel if not all are more efficient than gas hands down! There is more energy In a thimble of diesel compared to a cup of Gas. A folks wagon Jetta TDI has proved to be more fuel efficient and safer to the environment then a Toyota Prius!

Look for your self on Fuelly.com

It makes no sense to me to drive a half to a three quarter ton or heavier truck with a gas power plant. Now I know half tone truck are not available in diesel yet so don't go hammering me on it.
If I'm going to drive a truck, I prefer a diesel. Better in power, and fuel economy. All I have to do is take good care of it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all...

New to the site...But have admired diesels for years !!

Always wanted a 4X4 diesel truck...I am undecided on makes and models right now.

My question...I commute 110 miles per day round trip to work...95% highway driving...Is a diesel the right choice for my commute vehicle as well as my fun vehicle ??

I will have nothing to tow, or haul in the forseeable future...So technically there is no "NEED" for a diesel...Just the "WANT"
If you can only afford one vehicle & you need a truck from time to time I would say yes. My '98 Dodge (bought new) will do everything a car will do & a whole LOT of things a car will NOT do -- i.e. the Club Cab has a back seat big enough for adults, power windows, locks, tilt wheel, stereo, etc., but I ordered it because I do need a 4x4 truck from time to time (not as much as I used to) & since I only pay cash for vehicles, I get one that'll do everything I could ever need it to do & keep it 'till it can't be fixed anymore. Besides, I've got a Sportster to ride when I don't need to carry anything & it gets 50 mpg :smileup:

During the time I've had the Dodge a lady friend of mine has had two new Toyota Camrys & all added up, purchase price, tires, batteries & so on, I believe I've spent less than she has & I drive a LOT farther than she does. Personally, I have no use for a car whatsoever -- only way I'd have one is if I could afford a "toy" like a Shelby AC Cobra, a Dodge Viper, some crazy-fast car to get myself in trouble with & I certainly don't have the $$$ for that !!

K&N; Blue Chip Special X VP44; Edge boost elbow; Thrush glasspak; 4.10 LSD's; Ultra wheels.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Your welcome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts