Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever get a BAD smell in their 6.7 trucks ????? I believe it is only when DPF is burning off....it is intermintent but smells so bad I have to put windows down. Of course dealer can't reproduce ths issue. Truck only has 20,000 miles

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
It still must be breaking in? Does you regeneration light come on, and then a few moments the smell?

·
Registered
28 Posts
have your dealer check for leaks... seen a few that can be hard to find...
direction the wind is blowing is also something to factor in...
my .02

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the same issue with my 6.4L when my DPF goes into cleaning mode but only around town, i don't smell it on the freeway but its not that bad to roll the windows down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody ever get a BAD smell in their 6.7 trucks ????? I believe it is only when DPF is burning off....it is intermintent but smells so bad I have to put windows down. Of course dealer can't reproduce ths issue. Truck only has 20,000 miles
Thanks for the help....it is only while in town. I have had it to the dealer 3X for this but can't find any leaks. I love this truck but I still love my other truck for MX racing!!!! Ford E350 box van 7.3 4" stainless exhaust, banks chip 250,000 miles no polution junk and running strong.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i have a buddy that says his truck normally smells when the dpf is cleaning...not like my 6.4 which boggs down mpgs, well thats if i still had it on.

·
Registered
935 Posts
In some cases thats commin when the dpf's are in regen mode.I've had that issue on some of the big rigs when they are in a regen.And as for the regen cycle causing a small power loss, and a mpg drop,that's also commen with the dpf's.The big rigs are the same way.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Mine too.
It only smells during the DPF's regeneration around town in the stop and go traffic. I can't smell it on the highway

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is the truck bone stock?

I've been all over these trucks. And familiar with the burn off process.

To raise the temp for burn off the engine injects fuel into the exhaust stroke. It would be impossible to get an oder from there. Look way back on the fuel rail near the fire wall and see if you can see wet places. You might want to feel back there with your fingers.

The other place to look is at the CP3 (Injector Pump) Check all the fittings.

Also pull the dip stick and smell the oil

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Those are typical places to look and a good add to the information. but this is usually but not always the Emission systems doing this.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Is the truck bone stock?

I've been all over these trucks. And familiar with the burn off process.

To raise the temp for burn off the engine injects fuel into the exhaust stroke. It would be impossible to get an oder from there. Look way back on the fuel rail near the fire wall and see if you can see wet places. You might want to feel back there with your fingers.

The other place to look is at the CP3 (Injector Pump) Check all the fittings.

Also pull the dip stick and smell the oil

When it comes to the fuel rail system,(NEVER) put your hands over the fuel rail and lines to see if there is a leak. The fuel rail system pumps very high fuel perssure,In some systems in an excess of 10/15,000 psi.If you do have a fuel leak there the fuel can penatrate your hand and inject fuel into you which could really hurt you. Check visualy, Or have a shop run a fuel pressure check with the right eqipment.Better safe than sorry.
Also please fill out your signature so we know what kind of vehicle you have and what motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts