Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual of our '09 Ram diesel says when towing, I need to let it idle for 3-4 minutes before shutting down. This means I would need to wait that long at a fuel station before filling up. Is this really necessary? It seems like a long time to just sit there, especially when I get a lot of fuel in Oregon where it is illegal to pump your own fuel.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
An alternative: The 3 or 4 minutes is takes to get to the fuel station... Drive your truck like you have a full glass of water on your dash.
With towing, all your temps will go up, engine, tranni, and your turbo, allowing your temps to drop will let your oil temp drop to. This will assist in cooling down your turbo.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
It is very important for your truck to idle down after a serious amount of towing or serous highway traveling. Weather it's one hundred miles or four hundred, let it idle. Your truck is built to tighter tolerances then a gas power-plant. By allowing the cool down to happen, you're saving your vehicle from thermal wear and tear.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Letting the turbo cool down also helps cool down the shaft between the intake impeller and exhaust impeller. And it also helps to lubricate the bearings inside the turbo. I will never shut the truck down when driveing long distances.I always let it idle for at least three minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts