Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have done some searching of various forums now and can't muddle through all the threads. Can you all give me a run down of pros and cons of the big three Diesels. Like I said been reading for a couple days straight now. Looking somewhere in the 2006 and newer trucks. Have found a couple of nice looking 2008s in there. So, if we were talking 2008s to narrow it down...could you school me a little bit. Looks are not so important...I don't mind the looks of any of them.

EDIT...straight:smileup:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, I read that one earlier. To be honest, I am not too much into Chevys and don't want to trade down too many years. Found a few 08 Fords and a few 07 and 08 Rams in the price range I am looking at. I guess I have read a few horror stories on the 6.0 and 6.4 Fords. I don't want to trade into a bunch of problems and headaches.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I hear ya man... I didn't want to buy into anyone else problems too.
Well your doing good on your research. You've eliminated Chev and now your down to Dodge and Ford.
Keep up the good work and let us know which is the winner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha...that is the problem if I saw the right Chev I would probably take a real close look at it.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Ooops !!! I accidentally edited your post Gregg Damn!!! Sorry Gregg

·
Registered
7 Posts
i prefer cummins over anything but everyone says oh its a dodge your going to have problems. if you take care of any truck it'll last long the key is maintaining your truck. I personally like cummins because its a straight 6 not a V8 which means the rotating assembly is lighter and engine will last longer. plus it makes the same power :) everyone says watch the transmissions but if you don't drive like a jackass you should be good! :)

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
i prefer cummins over anything but everyone says oh its a dodge your going to have problems. if you take care of any truck it'll last long the key is maintaining your truck. I personally like cummins because its a straight 6 not a V8 which means the rotating assembly is lighter and engine will last longer. plus it makes the same power :) everyone says watch the transmissions but if you don't drive like a jackass you should be good! :)
2008 Ford is not the answer 6.4l are plagued with emission systems that cause a drop in fuel economy. The same year Cummins Has the same but it's a bit better. The Duramax has a better reputation then the three. Keep in mind these trucks for the years your looking at are the ones made for the emissions laws that they have to meet. so they all have problems. The Ram and Duramax actually has the least of the problems. and the Fords are not easy to tune for performance. On the magazines they are starting to figure them out.

I would say this: Buy either pre 2006 or buy 2011 and newer. Thats giving it to you straight.

·
Registered
935 Posts
2008 Ford is not the answer 6.4l are plagued with emission systems that cause a drop in fuel economy. The same year Cummins Has the same but it's a bit better. The Duramax has a better reputation then the three. Keep in mind these trucks for the years your looking at are the ones made for the emissions laws that they have to meet. so they all have problems. The Ram and Duramax actually has the least of the problems. and the Fords are not easy to tune for performance. On the magazines they are starting to figure them out.

I would say this: Buy either pre 2006 or buy 2011 and newer. Thats giving it to you straight.
Dang,i didn't know the 6.4L's were having emisions issue's.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts