Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All, Longtime Duramax convert here. Just bought a 2012 3500 DRW Tow Max (4.11) 6.7 Longhorn and am wondering how the powertrain (ie tranny) will hold up to a bullydog tuner. I ran tuners on my previous duramaxes and all was fine except for 1 limp mode occurrence as a result of a stuck solinoid. I don’t plan to take the truck to the race track; but, I do like to “romp” on ‘em occasionally. I have not found much on line about the 68RFE tranny. I would appreciate your feedback. This truck runs strong now and i really like the shift patterns (much faster to 6th gear than the Allisons). If it weren't for the fact that i really like starting the truck up in my shop and not having it smoke the place up, i would be taking the DPF off and really making this truck breath right.

Kind Regards,

mark

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Hi Mark When you start going over 500 HP and one starts to "abuse it" thats when you will experience Allison issues. MY advice would be to not use the bully dog so much but find an EFILive tuner. They will work on the Allison Computer control system so that it doesn't eat it's self because of the learning curve that Allison has. any time you add a tuner or the like the Allison has to relearn how to shift with the new perimeters. So if your building up the truck build up the Allison you will thank me for it.

Are you still under warranty?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rustin,

Thank you for your time and i appreciate the Allison response - that is good G2. EFILive would have been a good choice for me and after reading about it, i am most impressed. However, since i converted to Dodge last week, i am most interested in how the 68RFE tranny and remaining drive train of the 2012 3500 DRW Tow Max (4.11) 6.7 Longhorn will hold up to the Bullydog Tunes? And am interested in other's experience with tuning the 6.7 bullydog tune. I do not plan to remove the DPF. I do have a 18,000 travel trailer that i will tow. This pickup is also my daily driver.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Oops! I got my Transmissions mixed up because you had a Dmax. You might not be impressed with EFILive, but It has greater capabilities then H&S or Smarty. If your not into shelling out the bucks for EFILive then go with a Smarty. EFILive has better ays of tuning transmission shifts. With the right shop You could enjoy your Dodge in a better light. I'd say Get ahold of Left Coast Diesel They have a better knowledge base then me. I guarantee they will steer you in the right direction with in your budget.

On eddit: your truck has yet to have EFILive ready for it. With that said I still believe this group or any of our venders can help you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts