Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a truck to do hotshot hauling with and I'm stuck between the Chevy 5500 and Ram 5500. Both trucks have Pros and Cons. One thing I do know, is I see 90% of the Hotshot trucks are Rams, I think it is due to the Cummins, being a I6 it gets the best fuel economy and it also has 800 torque. Those are the big strong points. The one BIG con for Ram is that they are really expensive. The Chevy on the other hand is a bigger truck and also can come from the factory with a 120CA with Crew cab which is one thing I'm looking for. One downside is the 700 torque.

I'm looking for opinions and help on trying to make a decision.

Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Haven't been on this forum for a few days and I apologize for not having an answer sooner. I don't think many members here are familiar enough with trucks above the 3500 duallies to make an intelligent reply. They can advertise the torque ratings and all but when pulling these Rocky Mountain grades with a 10k-11K trailer behind my Cummins I pass other Ford and GM pickups pulling similar trailers and I am still in 6th gear with the cruise set. When I started looking into buying a diesel I fist looked at GM but after further investigation I decided on a Cummins and it just happened to have a Dodge wrapped around it. I have a friend that has a 3500 GMC Duramax and it is a nice truck and he hasn't had any problems with it, so I think either engine will get your jobs done. Let us know what you get and your opinion of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always loved the Cummins engine, it is truly one of the best in the world. Power is one thing, as is the fact that it is an I6, so better fuel economy. And Ram bodies have come a long way and are really nice. There are a couple things though that ive got a problem with. Price is one of them. The Cab and Chassis are less expensive than the consumer dually, but I priced out an SLT and it hit 80K, thats a lot, I mean I do like some creature comforts but for a work truck. The Chevy came in at 76K. Another big thing is legroom. I'm a big guy 6'4" and on the left knee there's like 2-3 inches, but on the right knee there's barely 1/2". That really baffled me. I had a customs shop tell me that could cut a piece out of the dash and sand it down and then patch it up like new, it would only give me 1" total though. And lastly, I really need a truck with a crew cab and a 120"CA. Ram and Ford only do an 84"CA, and Chevy does a 120"CA from the factory. The reason for this is once built the truck will be delivered to an upfitter to have a 60" sleeper added on and then auxiliary tanks and the hitches. The Ram would have to have the frame cut in half and then lengthened about 3-4ft. Now that lengthening costs about $5,000, and adds 3-4 weeks to the upfit. Also if I have a problem with the truck sometime down the road the Warranty is null.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts