Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 powerstroke 7.3 and while I was replacing bulbs in my headlights I took out both batterys to get at the lights better. when I went to put them back I was reconnecting them and their was a spark then smoke came up from around the belt area:Wow1: aaagggh. What did I do and what is the correct way to replace these batterys since I obviously did it wrong?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Does anything look burnt where the smoke came from?
And i usually hook up the lt.side battery first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant tell... lights came on and I immediattly disconnected every thing. I want to attempt to reconnect the batteries to see if it will start.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I would say go ahead and try and start the truck up.
Rustin could be a help with this.His truck is the same as yours. I've got a dodge.
Sorry about the delay,i've got the crappiest computer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no problem about the delay..thanks for the help.. I am "gun shy" now about reconnecting my batterys. If they are both disconnected do I reconnect one completlly then do the other?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yup, one at a time. You don't to arc, or short something and create bigger problems.
I replaced my alternator last year and caused an arc when i hooked up my alternator. Then my generator light would come on. I found out later that i blew my alternator fuseable link.Opps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
found my problem...hooked my battery up backwards...what kind of issues am I looking at here. All my lights come on but when I turn ignition over nothing happens and I loose power. Also i'm hearing a motor running prior to turning the ignition over I never heard before. Any advice would be appreciated and yes I know that I am a bonehead.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You are not a bonehead.
I would start with the simple stuff and start checking the fuses and relays.
You probably popped some fuses.As for the motor running noise,i'd have to think about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your help 97Cummins, since I need my truck for work and time is of the essence I am having it towed to the dealer service department today and preparing for the worst. when it sparked and smoked it did not sound good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will update the damage and expenses I caused after I get an assesmant from the pro's. Glad I found this forum, wish it wasn't because of my blunder though.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I'm so sorry that I missed this thread! Glad 97 was on! Sorry Bogus! Glad you have it figured out. Not happy that you have a $450 bill. Your in good hands and welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Forgot to ask,what was the motor running noise you heard before you started the truck.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Forgot to ask,what was the motor running noise you heard before you started the truck.
That brings up a good point. Did the OP say if he had a manual transmission?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I checked his profile and it isn't written down.I'm assuming that it's an auto tranny.Does the powerstroke of that year come mostly with an auto trans?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
yes they do. But I have a M/T and once the throw-out bearing caused me to have some funky starter issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts