Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a diesel truck to use for hauling my horses to rodeo's. I'd like to get a 3500 for the extra stability when I'm pulling a bigger trailer. I need something that will be reliable since I am a girl and I'll be on the road either alone, or with other girls that won't be much help if we break down.. has to be an automatic, unless I learn how to drive a manual in the near future lol. There's one problem though... I'm in college, so 15,000 is my spending max. I realize I'm gna have to get something with high miles, but how high is too high? I've been leaning towards a cummins because of their reputation of lasting FOREVER. But what do ya'll think? I've done my research so I wouldn't say I'm clueless when buying a diesel, but I'll take all the help I can get. I used to work at a truck accesories shop and my boss said he'd come w/ me to look so the dealers dont bull shit me. What I'm wondering is.. can I get a reliable truck at this price? is 200,000 on a cummins too high to buy if I'm not planning on having it for more than 5 or 6 years? what is too high of mileage on a GM or ford? Ik if it has trouble shifting to reverse its got tranny problems, and to watch for excessive smoke coming out of the exhaust, but what else should I stay away from?
Thank you for your help! :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
This is just my opinion. Some other members are much more handier then I'am.
$15000 isn't gonna get you a RELIABLE. You may get lucky on a few trips. but eventually it's gonna let you down.
300000 is TOO HIGH with out knowing the trucks history. but if it was babied and taken good care of, 300000 is still OK.
Black smoke out the tail pipe isn't necessarily a bad thing. but it does tell you it's doesn't have a DPF any more, or it never had one.

WELCOME to diesel forums.
Keep us up to date on your search.
BTW Good choice on a profile truck :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
imo 15k should be more then enough to get a very nice reliable diesel i paid under 10k for my 01 f250, with 4x4 7.3 powerstroke 5spd and granny gear with 143,000 miles

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I'm looking for a diesel truck to use for hauling my horses to rodeo's. I'd like to get a 3500 for the extra stability when I'm pulling a bigger trailer. I need something that will be reliable since I am a girl and I'll be on the road either alone, or with other girls that won't be much help if we break down.. has to be an automatic, unless I learn how to drive a manual in the near future lol. There's one problem though... I'm in college, so 15,000 is my spending max. I realize I'm gna have to get something with high miles, but how high is too high? I've been leaning towards a cummins because of their reputation of lasting FOREVER. But what do ya'll think? I've done my research so I wouldn't say I'm clueless when buying a diesel, but I'll take all the help I can get. I used to work at a truck accesories shop and my boss said he'd come w/ me to look so the dealers dont bull shit me. What I'm wondering is.. can I get a reliable truck at this price? is 200,000 on a cummins too high to buy if I'm not planning on having it for more than 5 or 6 years? what is too high of mileage on a GM or ford? Ik if it has trouble shifting to reverse its got tranny problems, and to watch for excessive smoke coming out of the exhaust, but what else should I stay away from?
Thank you for your help! :)
I think your going to really have to knuckle down to what you can afford. $15,000 or less is still going to be a good truck! You just have to really look it over and buy from somebody that has cared for it well. I would like to suggest that looking at any truck older then 2001 would be your starting point if staying local. If you're willing to go out of state cash talks every time! It talks well in local situations with private sellers. If you're leaning to a Ram then lean to a Ram. Get what you want and like. If you're purchasing a diesel pick-up for what you want to use it for, any of them will be good. No B.S.! They all have problems like any other vehicle, and no two trucks of the same year, style, and power-plant act alike. It's about information gathering and how well the truck was cared for. No matter what you think, they are not cheap to maintain, but proper maintenance is the key to longevity. These trucks have been known to get you home even when something is wrong.

With that said.
Here something to look at.

Cummins Ram: Older then 2006.
  1. Easy to maintain just buy a service manual.
  2. Some parts are inexpensive. with the exception of dealer only parts some transmission could be a problem
  3. Good longevity
  4. Decent fuel ecconomy

Power Stroke Ford: Older then 2006
  1. 7.3l are more reliable but there are after market products to make the 6.0l Just as good. You may find a 6.0l with all that has been bulit proofed. (good find if you do!)
  2. 7.3l are extremely relable with good maintenace. 6.0l are extremely reliable with good maintenace as long as the bulitproofing has been done.
  3. 7.3l need to be upgraded for power thay are excellent on the open road, but are slugish towing through hills.
  4. 6.0l have excellent power, but are limited by a somewhat week transmission.
  5. Fuel ecconomy is not bad. (not as good as a DMax or Cummins

Duramax GM/Chevrolet: Older then 2006
  1. All are fine trucks!
  2. Good ecconomy
  3. Excelent power
  4. Expensive on parts!
  5. Easy to tune!
  6. Easy to maintain!
  7. In expensive to maintain like the Cummins

Since these trucks are older then 2007 use of Diesel fuel additives, like Diesel Kleen (this stuff is no joke it works), Lucas Fuel Treatment (almost as good), or RevX (I'm having mixed feelings about this stuff) to replace the missing lubricity in the fuel.

If you have any more questions please ask, I hope this will help you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much! I've seen a lot of Ford 6.0's in my $ range, but I have been somewhat unsure about looking at them because of their reputation. I really appreciate the advice and I'll keep it in mind while I'm on the hunt :)

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Let us know what you bought, and your welcome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts