Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Glad to be joining the forum. I need help choosing a new truck. I need a nice pickup that is really comfortable, decent bells and whistles (steering wheel controls, climate control, power everything), diesel (need something that can handle a few hundred thousand miles over the next 5 to 10 years), old enough I can afford, and best highway MPG (no load). I travel and need something comfortable, 18 or better mpg, 4WD, and comfortable. Did I say comfortable?
I have had F250 powerstrokes, my wife has an 03 eddie bauer excursion with 6.0 4WD that she loves and would not give up, but I am currently in an 03 GMC 1/2 ton SLT ext cab Z71. Very nice and paid off truck, but I have 215k miles on it. No issues with truck, but I am getting ready to start driving about 6k miles a month. I need something that can take it. I love the GMC truck, but not sure about Duramax.
Here is the deal: I need suggestions based on the info above on what 03'-05' year model 3/4 or 1 ton (dodge, ford, or GM) truck will give me the lowest overall routine maintenance cost (oil, air, and fuel filter changes) and best MPG empty on highway. I would love all opinions. I have never owned a dodge truck and I think the Laramie is the only one I could live with, but I do like the 5.9 liter cummins.

Please help and thank you all in advance for your suggestions.
Dave

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Hmmm.... For the least maintenance. I would go with any of the cummins rams, ranging in the years of 1994-98 and the 24v ISB 1999-2003 the ISBcr is is holding it's value well so getting one under $15,000 is rare!
The next choice is the GM DMax They do have their inherent weaknesses, but they to are hard to find at a reasonable price.
7.3l Powerstrokes, about the same in maintenance like the DMax trucks. You just have to take care of your oil in that truck. Change it every 3,000 or at the most 5,000 miles Thats the only thing you do with that truck! Change the oil! My Ford is not a 4x4 but I am seeing 16.5 mpg in the city.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts