Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to join to do some research on Diesels in general. I currently have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Sport Crew that I am contemplating trading for maybe an 06-08 or so lower mileage diesel. I did join the Cummins one also but, not so sure I want a Cummins or something else. Any help and insight I can get would be greatly appreciated. In the mean time I will be doing a ton of reading.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome to diesel forums
Glad your here. Enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Welcome to DF!

I think that once you go diesel, you'll never want to go back to a gasser, no matter what platform you choose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just don't know for sure yet. I am just a little concerned because I haven't owned one. I have driven a couple. A couple 12V Cummins and a couple 06 Duramax trucks. But, have a lot of research to do about maintenance and daily driving aspect of it.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Welcome To Diesel Forums.
Your doing the right thing. Research is your best ticket to finding a truck that fits your needs. if you want to look at different trucks fuel economy, look at fuelly .com thats a good place to se some good fuel economy data. Other then that It's all in preference and maintenance. Diesels in general are more expensive to maintain. They are manufactured to higher tolerances then any gas engine. But in an event that something goes wrong diesels are very forgiving and can still take you home in some instances.
On a final note Diesels have a higher torque to horsepower ratio then any other power-plant but not higher then an electric motor. They are compression ignition not a spark ignition, this means it's not as violent as a gas. This is why the last so much longer.
Cummins, Power Strokes, Duramaxes, and Volkswagens all have their inherent problems, (designed by humans regulated to the hilt!) but they are all solid performers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts