Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot and dry down here. Just bought an '06 Ram 2500 a few months ago. Good shape, 108K miles, 4 speaker stock stereo/CD system sound quality sucks, but I'm happy with the truck overall. Pretty stock, did put a K&N air filter kit and a Bullydog programmer on it. Plus an Ipod kit. Mostly got it to pull my boat (24' Proline). Not a 4WD, but did get the 2 wheel LSD. Does a good job with the boat, hardly know it's back there, costs my 5-6 mpg though.
Quick question, couldn't find an answer in the threads anywhere, my oil gets absolutely black after 1K miles or so. Just changed it for the 2nd time in 4K miles. It was very dirty when I got the truck in April, so I changed it and the filter immediately. After 2K or so, I changed it again. Still black after another 2K or so, so I changed it again today in the 100 degree heat. At 12 qts a pop, this is getting expensive. Using a good grade of new diesel oil.
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Wally

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
It's not uncommon for the oil to turn black after a few hundred miles, especially Power Stokes they're the worst. All it is, is soot matter and maybe old oil. It's normal. If you really want to keep it clean look into an FS2500 filter bypass system. There might be a vender that carries this? I hope one chimes in if you need more info. If not I will send you in the right direction, I just want to give them a chance.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
WELCOME
wally15
TO
DIESEL FORUMS

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
welcome to the forum from one of your friendly forum super moderators. we hope you enjoy your stay and keep coming back to become a valued member of our forum.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome to Diesel Forums Wally
Give it up man... Your not gonna be able to hold that gold oil look in your diesel. Like Rustin said.. It's a diesel thing. It's just gonna turn black after a few hours of opporation. It's a lot of oil, so your alway going to get used oil mixed in with your new oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts