Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

Who's truck you think would best fit my needs?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Los Angeles! :wavey:

I currently own a 1996 Ford Centurion F350 with a 7.3 PSD.

Yet now I'm looking for another pre-'98 Diesel to mount a Camper onto & tow My Bronco behind me out to the desert & dunes etc etc...

I also have a Suzuki Sammy Highly modified & a boat & I plan to use my next diesel to pull these toys out to play & am trying to figure out my best option.
I am basically a FORD guy, but I'm sorta bummed about what I want ford never made & wonder what option I might have in other brands & etc..

What I want is:

95-97 F350/F450 7.3 PSD SuperCab 4X4 Dually with a manual trans, but I'm ok with a auto trans.

Seems Ford never made that?
So I'm kinda open to looking at other brands Probably a Dodge with a Cummins...?

The camper will probably weigh in somewhere about 5K lbs & then the trailer with the Bronco?.... I'm guessing 6,500 lbs?
But who know what I might wanna tow down the line?

I want a Pre-'98 because as I'm sure you know,there no smog for anything before that.

Thanks for your replies .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems this site dont get nearly as much traffic as some of the others I'm looking at.
Is this site still fairly new?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Ya... It's a new site.. As for your pole. It's a matter of opinion.

In my opinion the Chev 1 ton with the 6 sp Allison trans will meet all your needs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya... It's a new site.. As for your pole. It's a matter of opinion.

In my opinion the Chev 1 ton with the 6 sp Allison trans will meet all your needs
But what was available pre-1998?
I dont want anything later than 1997 due to Ca. Smog laws requiring all 1998+ diesels under 14K lbs to be smog tested every 2 years.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Hello from Los Angeles! :wavey:

I currently own a 1996 Ford Centurion F350 with a 7.3 PSD.

Yet now I'm looking for another pre-'98 Diesel to mount a Camper onto & tow My Bronco behind me out to the desert & dunes etc etc...

I also have a Suzuki Sammy Highly modified & a boat & I plan to use my next diesel to pull these toys out to play & am trying to figure out my best option.
I am basically a FORD guy, but I'm sorta bummed about what I want ford never made & wonder what option I might have in other brands & etc..

What I want is:

95-97 F350/F450 7.3 PSD SuperCab 4X4 Dually with a manual trans, but I'm ok with a auto trans.

Seems Ford never made that?
So I'm kinda open to looking at other brands Probably a Dodge with a Cummins...?

The camper will probably weigh in somewhere about 5K lbs & then the trailer with the Bronco?.... I'm guessing 6,500 lbs?
But who know what I might wanna tow down the line?

I want a Pre-'98 because as I'm sure you know,there no smog for anything before that.

Thanks for your replies .
If you like the Power Stroke a 4x4 dually with a ZF-5 or 6 M/T can be found. They are rare, but they can be found.
I have an early 1999 (it's a 1998) with a ZF-6 M/T. There are plenty of 4x4 1 tons with manuals running around.
Mine is stone stock. All trucks with M/T from 1998+ have catalytic converters. So your exhaust will have to be built around the cat. No if's ands or buts, then find a smog shop to over look the fact that your exhaust is changed from the turbo to the cat. Other then that it's not hard to smog, I just went through one. not bad really.
Chevy had a few runs with a M/T the ones to get are the 2001 through 2004? I could be wrong. Btu they used the same ZF M/T system as ford.
All of Dodge/Ram's M/T systems Sucked! Till now. Now they are the only trucks you can find new with a M/T.

If you want a new truck go with dodge/ram, if you want older? Go with a ford 7.3l. If you want in the new able to pass emissions and be a huge amounts of tuning fun go with an 2001 (expensive) Durmax. If you want cheap The older cummins, be aware their M/T are not the best if you plan on modifying the truck for power and towing economy.
I do feel that you answered your own question. Just look hard and wide for a Ford OBS (Old Body Style, pre 1997) with what you need. You may have to travel out for one.
Are you getting rid of the centurion? Those were the coolest trucks! Heavy but extremely rare! Everyone forgot that truck existed when suburbans kept claiming they had the roomiest trucks ever at that time.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
you might have to make your own OBS dually 4x4.

Seems this site dont get nearly as much traffic as some of the others I'm looking at.
Is this site still fairly new?
The sites 2 years old. The owner has different priorities then some.;)

I don't have a diesel but it's Dodge all the way for me.
:wow:

Jkelly We need to change that! you have been a mod here for to long to not have a diesel. What will it take for you to get one! :gy::att:

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Welcome from Redding CA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts