Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new to diesel forum, but not new to diesels. bought a 7.3 new in 96, drove it for 8 years trouble free. currently own a f150.....love it. gonna keep it AND get a diesel for towing. looking at 6.0l's and know the woes. hoping to find one that has either already been updated, or one clean enough worth spending the $ on.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Welcome to DF from Colorado. Good luck with the search, I hope you find a good one.

It's great to see that the 6.0 woes have not steered you away from one. I love mine and really put it to work.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
You sure do sound like you've done your home work.
Awesome plan.
WELCOME Glad you joined

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i picked up an 04 superduty lariat crewcab swb 6.0l auto with 160km/100miles. bought it off a ford dealership. one owner. just had an egr replaced. no oil cooler:4-dontknow: anyways, i took it for a short spin up a steep hill empty with a cts insight installed. ect 200f, eot 224f. (middle of winter here, cold ambient outdoor temps) decision time...leaning towards a bulletproof diesel oil cooler and egr delete. (this truck still has the original oil cooler).planning on running a light tune for towing/mileage,... sct? and plan to pull the cab to stud the engine and replace hg's although there are no current issues. goin to leave the intake alone, and run a free flowing exhaust, no cat. question is, do i have all my bases covered? or am i forgeting something. do i need to replace the turbo oil pipe? coolant filter not required with a bpd oil cooler/egr? trying to do it once, do it right, and build a reliable tow rig. thx for your input.

·
Registered
543 Posts
With a delta of 24*, I would definitely look into a BPD oil cooler. As for the coolant filter, it isn't as necessary with the BPD oil cooler, but it never hurts to have a little extra piece of mind. You can get a good kit for around $130, so I think it's worth it. I know a few people that are running a coolant filter with the BPD stuff. As for a tuner, I highly recommend an SCT with custom tunes. Also, do you own the CTS, are you going to be using it to monitor the trucks vitals? If not, I would suggest investing in one or some good gauges right away.

Looks like you are on the right track with everything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the input. i do own the cts insight. was the first thing i bought and hooked up. small price to pay to know whats going on

·
Registered
543 Posts
thanks for the input. i do own the cts insight. was the first thing i bought and hooked up. small price to pay to know whats going on
I agree. Did you get the egt probe with it? If not, you should definitely get it, egts are one of the most important things to monitor. With the CTS and an SCT tuner, you will be very happy.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I would recommend using some black onyx head gaskets and studding it while you are doing the other planned work so you don't have to worry about it anymore!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Actually Gregg the black onyx gaskets have kinda gone by the way side, a lot of people had been having issues with them and now it is advised to just use OEM gaskets.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah, I would definitely stud it if I had the money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts