Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here.

2005 5.9 24V NV 5600, 370,000 miles. Daily driver, modest occasional towing

Getting a long block and looking to add about 100 HP. My idea is to have ARP head studs, upgraded pushrods and
103# valve springs installed.to handle a little extra power. New 100 hp injectors, rebuilt injector pump, turbo. Also an
auxiliary fuel filter system and replace the radiator with a little more capacity. Boost and pyro gauges. Suppose
I need a tuner. Nothing fancy, ideas?

Planning on keeping the old girl another 20 years. I don't hot rod, drive like the old man I am. What am I missing for reliability?
Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Look at upgrading your fuel pumps. You have your injector pump and you have a lift pump. At least look at upgrading your lift pump. I went to a FASS Fuel system and am very happy with it.
And, here's why... Your lift pump provides fuel to your injector pump. Your injector pump uses that fuel to run your engine. It also uses that fuel to cool itself. If the lift pump fails, the injector pump will still suck enough fuel to run the engine, but not enough to cool itself at the same time. It MUST have that fuel from the lift pump. The stock lift pump provides from 7-10 PSI of fuel pressure to the injector. I don't remember the exact numbers here, but the engine requires a minimum of 7 psi before it won't run. I've had that lift pump fail and the only noticeable difference was that it took about 3-4 seconds on the starter for the truck to fire up. Before that failure it wouldn't quite make two full turns and it would start. I didn't know it had failed, I just felt that "something ain't right" feeling and couldn't put my finger on what went wrong. It cost me being stranded 100 miles from nowhere way way out in the boonies, a call for a trailer that could handle a 4x4 dually, a new injector pump, a new lift pump and a whole bunch of money and heartache. Lesson learned! The FASS System and a low side fuel pressure gauge gives me peace of mind. It puts out 20-23 PSI all the time. It gives the injector pump all the fuel it needs to cool itself and keeps me a happy camper. I sure wish someone had told me this stuff long long ago. Good luck with your build! ( By the way, I'm running an EZLynk Auto Agent Tuner with a plus 250 tune set up. The power is there when I need it when pulling my ToyHauler, and I do drive like the old man I am as well!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.