Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first diesel a 99 2500 5.9.. My daily and also tows a 28 ft toy hauler. Looking to get more towing power through the mountains of New Mexico. So looking for a programmer shift on fly I would prefer or should I upgrade exhaust first.. so many choices on both Im lost. The truck is stock so your knowledge and experience would be of great help. Dont have a huge budget so looking bang for the buck as my first mod. Also Im bouncing all over the place on the country dirt roads I drive daily need new shocks and struts so ideas on quality ones for off road? Wouldnt mind the truck sitting a little higher if I can afford it. So any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks again and glad to be apart of this forum

·
Registered
935 Posts
Welcome to dieselforums. I would do an exhaust upgrade first. Because when you do a programmer you increase the egt's. So if you get the exhaust gasses out easier the better for the motor. I would also recomend an egt gauge. For the shocks snd struts, you can. Contact one of the vendors here for info and prices on the stuff your looking for.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I second that motion... Do your exhaust first.

Welcome to diesel forums.

If you have an opportunity.. go to a Dyno Day and get your truck dyno'd
Find out how much HP and torque your making right now then compare it after you've done your mods.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Combinations are key to EGT control. Even with the right Exhaust. You might still experience high EGTs. An Intake would be next and that should take care of it till you modify something else, like your fuel system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the advice I think Im going to upgrade the exhaust first. One more thing.. whats the difference between the turbo back and down pipe back systems.. is one better than the other.. not going for a race truck.. just a little extra towing power and some mpgs wouldnt hurt.. Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
935 Posts
The turbo back is the same thing as the down pipe.(they are the exact same)
The pipe that comes off of the turbo is called a down pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts