Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum,

I have a Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn addition Short bed 5.9L Turbo Diesel with a 4 speed automatic.

I am pulling a 5th wheel 11,300 lbs. w/a gooseneck hitch.

I have not had to do steep decent yet, and it looks like in the near future our travel plans will encounter some pretty steep grades as far as decent goes.

My question is with the trailer breaks, the truck breaks and the current transmission on my truck is there a built in integrated engine breaking system that will kick in automatically on steep decent? OR, should I consider installing an additional exhaust break that will work for my truck and the instillations I already have from the factory? I am going to assume to follow the suggestions in the user manual for steep descent.

If you think I will be fine as far as breaking goes with my current set up, I will not worry, but I want to be sure and I do not want any last moment upsets when it comes to taking this rig down a steep descent.

Any suggestions or input any of you have would be most helpful, as I am new to towing and new to 5th wheel pulling and I want to be prepared before I encounter the steep grades.
Thanks so much for any of your help, suggestions or input.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If i'm correct, the exhaust brake didn't come standard with the cummins until the 6.7 came out. Now as for your current setup,Transmission,truck brakes,trailer brakes. That will do fine when your on flat land. But as for the mountains,You should have an exhaust brake installed. Think of it this way. Your pulling your 11,300# trailer and you come to a 6% grade and you don't have an exhaust brake The setup you have now will only last a little. Because you'll be relying on the truck and trailer brakes to keep you slowed down. Then your brakes will fry and you will have an 11,300# trailer pushing you down hill. You'll have what truck drivers call as a runaway truck/trailer.The exhaust brake will help keep the speed down to a minumum.And help save brake wear.
I'll give you an example. Several years ago i took out my fifth wheel that is 9,500# to a rest stop to dump the waist tanks. I accidently got off the wrong exit and ended up going down a steep hill.My truck didn't have an exhaust brake on it. I saw a red light ahead so i tried to slow down. I had BOTH feet on the brake pedal and it was literally to the floor and the truck wouldn't stop. I ended up going through a red light.I finally got the truck stopped about 2" from a car in front of me. My heart was going 90 miles an hour,and both hands were on the steering wheel so tight. I was sweating like crazy and that scared the crap out of me. I won't do that again until i get an exhaust brake on my truck.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
X2 Exhaust breaks are very helpful!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting conversation. I've been hauling trucks on the hauler (Kentucky only). I've done cars (4 & 6 cyl) out of NC but loads are like 6.5k with trailer and I cheat. I have the double axle trailer brakes but I come up 26 over to 81 and then up to Knoxville (I cut out I-40 grades this way on the trip back), the rest of the trip is Tenn. & KY and grades are not that steep to Mt. Vernon.

However, my fellow mechanic and friend has a 95 12v and we are wanting to start bringing trucks up the road out of China Grove NC and the hour + out of the way and the weights going up (4wd), it's time to go this route if that's the new intent. He's my mechanic also, so if I order the hardware is it a simple install? I have a dedicated exhaust and brake guy in Lebanon if it's not so simple (he'll just cost more).

R...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts